🌊 Off to Sea [2/3] 🌊

Captain Polar's POV:

"Holy skittles!" I squeaked, abruptly bolting outside of the restaurant.

"Polar, get back in here!" Riptide shouted out from his seat, his voice growing distant as I looked up at the darkening sky.

Through the downpour, I could make out the shattered remains of what seemed to be the top of a very large building.

I squinted my eyes, peering into the distance, focusing in on the blurry silhouette.

"Lighthouse got hit." Fjord's dismal voice came up from behind me. "Ships are going to start sailing in to get out of this weather. How are they gonna do that without the lighthouse up?"

It took me a few moments to remember, but Port Starboard did in fact have a lighthouse.

The lighthouse was a large, independent structure that towered over the rest of the seaside town, illuminating the ocean with its intense beam of light as it guided boats safely toward the shore.

I used to take brief walks with Riptide around the wet market, occasionally stopping to eat lunch or have a snack with him beside the lighthouse's entrance.

I've never been inside of it, since no one has ever been allowed in there other than the manager of the building.

I'm glad I wasn't in it right now, though.

"The thing's shattered... You can practically see where the lightning struck down the center of it." Riptide came up beside me, pointing toward the ruins of the lighthouse. "Think we should go and see if anyone was in there?"

"No, Riptide. We're not allowed in the lighthouse." Fjord turned to Riptide, his icy gaze still fixated on mine. "Right, Polar?"

I wavered for a moment, feeling the raindrops trickle against my captain's coat. "But, Fjord, what if someone's trapped in there? They could be hurt."

Riptide nodded. "She has a point. C'mon, we're going over there to see the damage."

"There's no use," Fjord snapped at him. "Anyone who was in there should have died instantly. You've never heard of anyone surviving a lightning strike before, have you?"

"Hey." Riptide rounded on Fjord, his emerald gaze piercing through his apprentice's. "I'm still your captain, even if you just got your own ship. You follow my orders, or I'm taking back my ship. Got it?"

The blonde captain opened his mouth to speak, but he closed it, slowly nodding. "Fine. I'll listen."

Riptide turned away, beginning to walk along the gravel path. "Now c'mon, let's go."

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝

When we got to the lighthouse, I reeled back in shock.

The entire upper half of the building had caved in on itself, rendering the massive panel that controlled the bright beam useless.

Shattered glass was strewn across the wet grass, glinting in the dull light of the storm.

Fjord pulled out a flashlight from his pocket, turning it on and inspecting the area.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" The blonde captain's thick British accent rang throughout the air as he walked around, waving his flashlight about.

Riptide turned to me, shaking his head. "I'm worried if we do find someone... We don't have anyone that's a medic. Like, a decent medic."

"Hey, credit me!" Fjord called back, walking around the perimeter of the ruins. "I've been in medical school, I can help!"