9

Devon had been unusually distant the last few days.

Velvet couldn't help but wonder if he was having second thoughts. She only hoped he wouldn't change his mind and betray her in the end. Sitting on the edge of the couch, she felt like she had been waiting for eternity for him to come home. She tapped her bare foot against the carpet impatiently. At the very least her and Devon's puppy was loyally at her side, snoozing in her lap.

Wait a minute.

When had she started considering the puppy his too? Were they an item now? It had to be way too soon for that, didn't it? Yeah, no way. Though she was glad she could address him as something other than Witch-Hunter, or Witch-Finder, it was still for sure too soon.  But Yeah, learning his name? It had  definitely humanized him a bit.

This was getting way too weird, even for Velvet.

Gently setting the small creature on the couch so he wouldn't wake up, Velvet made her way to the fridge. Catching a glimpse of her reflection, she was amazed to see the beginnings of hairs popping up like patches of grass all over her scalp. Velvet's scars were starting to fade as well. It wasn't great progress, but it was progress nonetheless.  Smiling, the witch pulled open the door, she helped herself to a can of Pepsi. Such items had been common place several hundred years ago, but now they were as rare as rare could be. Devon had gotten them as a gift for her last night. It had been a huge surprise, and she had been flattered that he even consider getting something like that for her. Cracking the tab open she hastily took a sip. Eyes widening, she stared at the little can like it was the most wonderful thing she had ever seen. Taking another large gulp and returning to her seat, she placed her drink on a coaster on the coffee table. Relieved that her dog hadn't noticed her brief absence, she carefully picked up the creature and sat down before placing him back in her lap.

Feeling it was a bit too quiet. Velvet decided to turn on the television. Looking for nothing in particular she settled for the news. The Witch never cared for the news, it always made her very sad and disappointed to see all the evil and suffering in the world, but right now she felt it was better than silence. Besides, she could always turn the channel, if it got too upsetting, right?

Sipping her soda and patting her dog, all the usual passed across the screen: A murder here, vandalism there, but it was the fourth or fifth story that really got her attention. A pretentious female voice boomed as Velvet's fuzzy image flashed across, making her jump, and startling her puppy.

'It has been two weeks since local recluse Velvet has been ousted as a Witch and been taken into custody, but according to the Witch Finder General, it is unclear, who is captivating who.' A much cleaner portrait of Devon was placed on screen next to hers. Velvet dropped her bottle, nearly spitting out her drink. Freezing the image so that she could show Devon later the witch set her dog aside and got up, pacing around the room. What should she do? What will happen to Devon if she is accused of bewitching him? What will happen to her? Velvet could hardly imagine. Her captor had spared her from torture for the most part, but if he is deemed unfit there will be nothing he can do to protect either of them. There's only so much magick can do in these situations and Velvet was terrified that it would be enough.  Her whole body shook and she felt like casting off a million spells at once. Sinking to her knees, the young woman did her best to focus her energies and ignore the concerned whimpering from her companion in the background. It wasn't easy.  Velvet just wished that he would get home safely so that they could talk about this. Most important she just wished he would get home safely.

"Are you alright?" a tentative voice asked, breaking Velvet out of her thoughts and making her jump. Sighing in relief, the young woman was relieved to see that it was just the man she needed to see.