Lexie, Ellis, Richard, Theo, Clara, Henry and Amelia sat with her.  

"Mark, Owen and Cristina went to grab coffee" Meredith offered a small smile. Derek nodded as he approached her. He took her hand in his.

"You've got this. So its separated into three maybe four different days, today we have our witnesses which are your family and neighbours, tomorrow will be the medical team and police department with their accounts on what they've seen, the third day is when Kyle will take the stand for us to hammer is ass and when You will be called up, you'll give your full account of everything that'll  be what I ask you and his lawyer will question you. He has no defense witnesses, he has nothing. His Lawyer dropped out last minute and was replaced. This lawyer doesn't want to cross examine witnesses.  After that the jury will be sent to deliberate, they'll come back with their verdict. Once the verdict is given the judge may decide to sentence, its rare but its seen."Derek explained softly.

Meredith nodded as she exhaled. 

"We have the evidence booklet that'll be referred to throughout the case."Derek's touch was light to her hand. When the door opened he moved away.

"Owen"Derek nodded to him. He and Mark shared a look as Meredith stood to embrace Cristina.

"We can go get seated his vans are arriving soon. He'll be in cuffs with two guards next to him, three at the door and one by the judge. His lawyer will be with him too. Meredith you'll be between Derek and I. If you need a break squeeze one of our hands. You guys are allowed to all come in together as you've submitted statements already so they'll know if you change the story."

With that Meredith received hugs as her family and friends left to sit in the court behind her. Others were in there too such as a couple of neighbours, Miranda and Jackson and probably a journalist. On Kyle's side he had only one supporter who Meredith recognised to be a guy he used to drink with. 

The judge was already sitting waiting, a female judge and she'd called the jury in before Kyle's arrival. 

When the side doors opened and guards walked in she knew he was there, every hair on her body stood tall. The moment his walked in with cuffs around his ankles and wrists he looked at her with a smile, one filled with torment. He wore black trousers and a shirt. He looked directly at her, winking with a pouty face . The guard shoved him forwards which only caused the anger flare in Kyle's veins.

"You fucking cunt"His voice bellowed through the court room. In that instant she flinched, her eyes snapped closed as she clenched her fists. Her knuckles became white.

"She's panicking ma, look at her"Theo was furious with the man, angry with how much just his voice affected his younger sister.

Once they managed to seat Kyle it began. With the judge opening.

"Today's case brings the charges of attempted murder in the first degree, multiple counts of sexual violence and vape, multiple counts of controlling and coercive behaviour, multiple accounts of violent and threatening behaviour, multiple counts of actual and Grievous bodily harm. Members of the jury your job is to decide whether Kyle James is guilty of the crimes put before him.  Ryland Barker please give the opening statement"  Cynthia Smith the judge ordered looking at him.

Ryland stood with barely any confidence. 

"I defend my client with a simple explanation. They were a young couple. Troubled and flawed. Harm was done but not in the substantial amount claimed." 

Derek held back his laugh as Meredith looked at him with sad eyes.

"We got this sweetheart. He's a pile of shit. Just gotta trust the process"He whispered.

"Representing Miss Grey we call Derek Shepherd to give his opening statement"  Kyle's face seemed to drain of all colour when he pieced things together. 

"But they are shagging its a bias trial!!!" Kyle screamed. Meredith rolled her eyes as the judge looked at Derek.

"Mr Shepherd"She looked into his eyes.

"Your honour, there is no truth in his words. As stated I am a family friend and Miss Grey baby sat my child whilst I attended work. There is no inappropriate relationship between us. However my colleague Mark Sloan can step forward if that causes issue"Derek smiled softly.

"No need Mr Shepherd, Mr James keep your mouth shut in my court room unless you are addressed, proceed" She nodded.

"My explanation isn't as short as Mr Barker's as my client has only spoken truth. As we progress through the next few days you will see over 800 pieces of evidence whether this be police reports, doctors counts of what they saw, images taken from the victim herself from the first week of the relationship as well as images taken by police themselves, the forensic teams and of course the victim. We have over twenty witnesses to call including family, friends, doctors and police. You say this was a troubled relationship yet he never came out with a scratch. Meredith Grey was left fighting for her life after he tried to kill her, that night ended eight months of abusive callous behaviour. I am here to prove that he is a monster and to get justice." Derek nodded and sat back down, swallowing water to prevent himself bursting with anger.

The case had officially begun.