Chapter 4: The Nightmare

Start from the beginning

As the two walked back over towards the saloon, they could see that it wasn't as packed as before. People were already leaving? But It's not even that late? Don't tell me that's another stupid rule set by SMG4 too because of Meggy and Wren.
Walking silently, Tari found herself stuck in her thoughts. Meggy is the reason they're all so skittish. Meggy is the reason I'm having so much difficulty finding my other friends. Meggy is the reason we're stuck here.

Why did she have to choose this dark path.
Just why?

   "Tari...? Are you okay...?" Mario had finally decided to end the awkward silence. "You seem... very mad..."

"BECAUSE I AM MAD!"

Mario flinched and shrank.
Tari's eyes immediately gave away a gleam of guilt. "Sorry Mario!... it's just..."
   "You're thinking about Meggy..."
Tari blinked in surprise. "Yeah." She expected Mario to assume that she was angry because of SMG3, but he was right on point.
   "Well..." Mario began. "Well Mario's angry at her too. Very angry. Meggy betrayed Mario, how is he NOT supposed to be upset?"
Tari didn't reply. She only lowered her head and turned away guiltily.
   "But I can't let that get the better of Mario. Meggy is out there somewhere... and for whatever reason she decided to do what she did... we'll still confront her and figure out the truth."
Tari stopped walking. Mario was right. She couldn't keep thinking about Meggy and what she did. She just needed to stop thinking about her and everything else that was going on.
But that was easier said than done.
   "You're right Mario." Tari agreed. "But when we do confront her..." She paused to look over at the hotel. She stared at it for a few seconds before shaking her head. "We'll talk about it when we get inside."
   "Tari? Do you mind if we stop at the Saloon real quick? Mario's thirsty."
Despite Tari's slightly foul mood, she managed to form a smile for him. "Yeah...! Sure!"
As soon as Tari had said that, Mario's eyes grew wide, and he immediately bolted towards the Saloon. This time though, Tari didn't run after him. Just stop thinking about her Tari. It's really that simple.

----

~ 7:11 P.M. ~

   "Oh you're back? What can I do for ya?" Tari turned to look up at the bartender. She was an Octoling with long pink hair and bright yellow eyes. Tari had stumbled into this particular bartender in the past when her and Mario were there for the past few hours. Though she were embarrassed by the fact that she had never asked for the bartender's name.
The bartender seemed pretty contempt with her job, though in the day time, it must of been busy, which must of been a lot of work, and especially a lot of pressure on her.
   "My friend Mario would like a glass of milk, please." Tari replied.
   "And what about you?" The bartender cocked up an eyebrow.
   "Oh.. I'm good." Tari lied. "I'm not thirsty. I've had lots already."
The bartender shook her head. "Foolish."
   "Huh?"
   "Nobody has ever rejected my drinks before. Full or not." She had a gleam of amusement in her eyes, indicating that she were only teasing.
Tari chuckled awkwardly. "Yeah... sorry."
   "Don't apologize for being different." The bartender was wiping one of the glasses, eyeing it carefully, lifting it above herself to inspect every corner; every detail. "It's people like you who change society. To make it better, of course."
   "What do you mean?" Tari couldn't help but feel puzzled by the bartender's statement.
The bartender was about to reply, but she was cut off by a voice beside them. "Because in this town, we're all the same."
Turning her head around in slight fright, Tari's eyes were met with an axolotl in a suit. Unlike the bartender, Tari had never seen this guy before.
   "Hey Desti." He continued, turning towards the bartender, walking behind the counter.
So that's her name. But why does it sound so...
...You're imagining things again, Tari. Stop it.
   "Oh hey Axol." Desti stopped wiping the glass, placing it down in front of herself. "Is this your shift?"
Axol nodded. "Say, who might these two be? I haven't seen them around here before?" He paused. "Wait!" He turned to Desti. "Are these the two folk I kept hearin' about?"
Tari nodded, catching Axol's attention. "Yeah, we are."
Axol's smile expanded when she replied. "You two have been the talk of the town! Like quite literally! I'm actually shocked to see you two in person."
Tari beamed awkwardly. "Yeah. Heh." Tari was trying to find the right words to speak, but she were way too bashful. She didn't really like the thought of being the center of attention, especially if the people here thought of her and Mario as celebrities.
   "I'm also shocked that you're still here."
Tari knew exactly what he meant by that, but still tried to push it at the back of her mind.
   "Um... I'm not sure if SMG4 made it clear to you guys or not, but we do not plan on staying here long."
Axol's face dropped. "Oh, I see. Well... I can't say I blame you. Especially with-"
Oh god please don't say it...
   "-Meggy the Gargantua and One-Shot Wren out and about."
Argh!
   "Yeah." Tari agreed through gritted teeth. How could I possibly forget Meggy if she was being constantly brought up by every person in this damn town?
   "Well while you guys are here now, why not stay a little longer and have a drink? We have plenty of options and WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT REVOLVERS IN THE HOUSE DESTI?"
Desti lowered her weapon. "What? It's better safe than sorry."
Axol rolled his eyes. "Like that tiny gun is gonna do any real damage to a GIANT!?"
   "Then I'll shoot the other one."
"Who, One-Shot Wren?" Axol croaked a chuckle. "You're delusional."
   "Says you! The last time Wren and Meggy invaded, you thought that using catapults were a good idea. You know how that wounded up." 
   "Lets not bring that up." Tari could see that Axol was visibly becoming uncomfortable.
What happened? Tari thought to herself curiously. Again, she decided to shake the thought away. She needed to stop thinking about Meggy. She should be the last thing on her mind right now.
   "Thank you for the offer, but me and Mario were just leaving. We only came for a drink."
Both bartenders frowned.
   "Oh- oh would you look at the time, It's getting late, and uh... Mario needs his sleep!"
   "Hey, but Mario's not-"
   "He's VERY. TIRED."
Mario shrank and immediately nodded. He forced himself to yawn in front of the bartenders.    "Yup! Mario's very sleepy. He might even pass out right here on the counter."
Tari rolled her eyes. "See? He's very sleepy. The poor thing needs his beauty sleep. Now if you'll excuse us--"
   "Oh but before you leave, may we interest you with some samples? They're delicious, and we promise you won't regret it!"
   "Thank you, but I already said I wasn't--"
   "SAMPLES?!"
Great.
Mario immediately ripped the plate from Axol's hands and began to devour his plate.
   "Okayyy ahaha, well now that the sleepy boy has had his bedtime snack, It is really time for him to head to bed."
   "Here, let me get the door for you!"
Ugh. Will this nightmare ever end?
   "Thank you." Tari had failed to hide the exhaustion and slight annoyance in her tone. But even then, Axol didn't seem to notice.
Mario was happily waving to the people and the bartenders, while Tari remained with a straight face, not looking back, dragging Mario on the sand like a sack of potatoes.