Part 37 - Broken, Polar Bear, not dead.

Start from the beginning

"Too long." Gun muttered back. "That's why I can't do this. That's why I never told Newwie to talk to me, but I just floated on his outskirts. I'll drown in his emotions. You know it."

"Do you want me to leave?" Off threatened. He dropped his arms and took a step back. "I won't do this anymore. I told you that it was time for you to stand up on your own and I meant it." He smirked. "Isn't there a new bag you have been eying... one from Gucci?"

"That's not fair!" Gun hissed. "That's fucking bribery." He squinted,  then a look crossed his face, complete with a smile. "I'll go in there for a ring and a press conference."

Off knew he had both been beaten and won. "Press conference?"

"Mm. The ring is given to me at the conference and YOU tell everyone we're dating." Gun smiled, happily. Fair play... was fun.

"Gun!" Off whined, "Everyone knows already, why do we need to go that far?"

"No, they think they know but they don't really know anything at all." Gun replied. "If I have to go through a emotional shitting, so do you. But," Gun patted his arm gently, "You can choose when, I won't push you." With the deal sealed, Gun trotted up the path, waving Off home.

~~~~~~~~~~

Job was thankful that Tay lived on the second floor, and not higher. She was almost at the turn to head upward, when the very tiny earpiece flared to life, scaring the hell out of her. "We're cutting the power now. "Rodger." She whispered, not sure how sound would carry. "Heading up now."

Her legs strained on the vertical climb, but it was overall easy, moving up the straight square tube. Internally, she was beaming with pride, all those extra work out sessions were paying off! So softly, not sure she was being heard, "On the floor, which way?" With the adrenaline pumping, she wished she remembered the map better, but the first rule was trust your teammates. 

Her teammate had been shot dead in front of her. Was it not better to trust the big man who had saved her, not once but twice? "Go straight, past the next two openings." Again, the male voice was loud in her ear. 

"Rodger." She started to move, confidently, keeping most of her weight on the sides of the duct, not on the floor. "Past the second opening."

"Go through the third, and turn left. It should take you into the bathroom." The male voice felt steady, safe and secure as he gave directions. Job felt reassured, as she followed them. 

Reaching her destination, she pulled out the multitool from her belt and released the screwdriver. Making quick work of the four screws, "Removing access panel," She huffed, as this was the hardest, heaviest part so far, being an awkward angle for her. 

"Good. Be as quiet as you can. The layout is as follows: straight hallway leading to open common area with a kitchen on the right, bedroom on the left, with the balcony. It's large and very few areas to hide, even for someone as tiny as you." The voice hesitated. "Job, isolate target from victim, or open the main door and evacuate the victim. You're the person on the spot. It's your call."

"Rodger." Her hands grasped the edges of the vent and she dropped, swinging her feet, hoping that she could reach the counter. She was just a bit to short for the full drop without breaking something or being noisy. With one good swing, she felt the counter under her feet, solid, and let go, where she wobbled, before gaining her balance, by hanging on to the top of the mirror. 

Now stable, soft like a kitten, she dropped to the floor, and crept to the door, gently opening it all the way. On her hands and knees, she crept through into the hallway and looked right. The kitchen area was empty. Straight ahead, the hallway was empty but there was stains. Her eyes narrowed. 

Unable to speak, she hit her microphone in morse code, hoping they knew it. Her father had been a special forces officer and had told her about a trick, of brushing the microphone, to use it. Swiping her finger, once to represent a long dash, she followed up with three taps, then paused, one tap, one swipe, three taps, and so on until she has spelled out "blood."  Only crawling far enough to ensure the common area was empty, she sat back on her knees and sighed. 

Job almost jumped out of her skin when a different voice came on the radio. "Damn it, Job! "Blood? Whose? Are you ok?"

Swiftly, she swiped and tapped out "ok" as the simplest response. Then followed with "bedroom." She wanted to ask for advice, but had been given instruction to do as she saw fit in situ. So she stood up, and drew her knife. There was a kidnapped man, hurt and it was her job to save him. 

Stealing herself, she crouched into a kick ass position, knife at ready, and called out, "Hey, fucker, are you going to come and say hello?"

"What in the fuck are you doing, Job? Job?" With her free hand, Job pulled the radio from her ear. If she was fighting, the radio would only be a distraction. It was just in time as the door flew inward and the prettiest looking kidnapper appeared.

"Who the fuck are you, and how the fucking hell did you get in here?" The ex-manager growled, his own knife at the ready. Job simply laughed, waving him onward. Agitated, knowing it was all over, he growled and ran at her, only to trip over Tay's comatose figure.

Job took advantage of his distraction, and stomped on his hand, breaking it, and kicking the knife under the bed. Then, she kicked him once between the legs as he tried to use his other had to punch her. As he lay moaning and rolling around in pain, from a small pocket on her pants, she pulled out a pair of handcuffs and put them on, his arms pulled tight behind. 

She fastened the radio back in place, grimacing as the voice was screaming for an update. "Damn it, Officer Job, speak to me! What is the damn situation?"

"Assessing the victim now, sir. Call an ambulance, has pulse, no eye movement. There is blood everywhere." Job felt the adrenaline fade and leaned back against the bed, closing her eyes. "Mission finished, sir?"

"Yes, officer, mission is finished once we've arrived on site." It was only a few minutes, and Job heard someone pounding on the door. She stood up and on totter legs, walked over, pressed the intercom and sighed. Opening the door, "Sir." Joko took one look at her and nodded at Tam. 

"Tam, I'm taking this officer now." Tam barely glanced at them, more concerned with Tay. The other members of the team knew that it was Joko who, despite his size, was the 'daddy', taking care of all the new member. They didn't even bat an eyelash as he swept the young woman up in his arms, and carried out.