WP

2017

"FUCK. PA'NO BA to?" Napakamot siya sa kanyang ulo habang nagbabasa ng libro. She couldn't quite understand these mathematical equations! 

Nagkasalubong ang kanyang kilay at inayos niya ang kanyang glasses, tiningnan nang maagi ang mga salita pero talagang hindi niya maintindihan! Fuck. Marunong naman siya sa Math, sadyang hindi lang gumagana ang utak niya ngayon!

She bit the tip of her pen, scanning the words, when all of a sudden, a guy with a pair of black eyes, fair skin, and thick hair styled into curtain bangs approached her. His deep black eyes were staring at her book and all of a sudden, a smirk stretched across his lips as his gaze moved to hers. 

"Do you mind if I help you?"

And at the age of 18, she met someone whom she wouldn't thought would change the course of her life. 

He became her tutor, her friend, and then her lover. It was a slow-burn romance, she could say. Almost a year of courtship, until she finally gave him her sweet 'yes' when she got into third-year college. 

"Uuwi ulit ako sa Cebu dahil summer na. Pinapauwi ako ng mga kapatid ko. Sama ka?" tanong nito habang pinaglalaruan ang dulo ng kanyang buhok. She was lying on his chest, and they were watching a thriller movie. 

At the age of 21, Jack is already working here in Manila. Both of their hometown is Cebu. Ang sabi pa nito, may tine-take pa itong courses dito sa Manila and while he takes those, nagtatrabaho rin ito. 

She admires her man very much. 

Nag-angat siya ng tingin sa lalaki at saka umiling. Going back to her hometown just brings heaviness to her heart.

When her auntie completely resided in another country to finally live with her husband, hindi na siya ulit bumalik pa sa Cebu. And thinking about residing in the house. . . alone, with no pancakes, no bicycle rides, no Kenny Roger's songs echoing through the living room makes her feel suffocated. 

She still finds it hard to accept her parents' death until now, kaya tanging birthday lang ng mga ito ang palagi niyang pinaghandaan kahit siya lang ang mag-isa na kakain. But her auntie and her family would stay with her, though—virtually. And they would celebrate her parents' birthday together.

"Ikaw na lang, Jack. . ." Sunod-sunod siyang napalunok upang pigilan ang kanyang luha, but Jack kissed the top of her head and squeezed her arm gently, making a sob escape from her lips.

"Cry, love. Huwag mong pigilan. Don't worry about being alone. I will never leave you. That, I promise."

And Jack stayed true to his words. Sabay silang bumalik papunta sa Cebu, and they even visited her parents' tombstone. Gano'n na lang ang pagbagsak ng mundo niya nang makita kung gaano na kadumi ang mga puntod nito. . .

May mga bulaklak, oo, signifying that their colleagues have been visiting them. But the weeds around her parents' tombs. . .

Guilt flooded her entire system, and her cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Masyado ba siyang selfish? She's just thinking about her own pain! Her parents need her! Responsibilidad niyang pagandahin at ayusin ang puntod ng mga ito!

Her tears fell at the sudden realization, and the corners of her lips curled downwards. Nanginginig ang kanyang mga daliri nang itinaas niya ang mga iyon upang abutin ang mga nagsisitaasang damo at hilain iyon.

"Ma. . . pa. . . sorry." Her shoulders shook as tears continuously fell from her eyes. Wala ba siyang kwentang anak?

Jack held her shoulders and pulled her for a hug. "Shh, I know they completely understood your pain, Jill."