Chapter 16

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷True or False

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷
True or False

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷True or False

7 YEARS AGO...

Mareena shivered in Gill's arms as they snuggled together in hopes of giving each other some warmth. They had found a safe cave where they could shelter from the other tributes and, just barely, the cold.

"We need food," the boy mentioned.

And they did, Mareena couldn't remember the last time she had eaten anything more than blackberries.

The two picked themselves up off the ground and grabbed their weapons. Thanks to some small mercy, the suits were designed so they wouldn't feel so cold, at least enough to keep them from dying of hypothermia, but still, the weather was freezing her nose and ears.

Both tributes from district four came out of their safe hiding place in search of something to eat. Mareena went in search of some animal that could be lurk in the frozen forest, while Gill went to the river in search of fish.

There were at least 7 tributes left, including her and Gill.

She had received several gifts from sponsors so far, apparently her show of sweetness had worked, that, and she had already given them a show to remember her by.
Every time she thought about it, her body began to shiver, and not from the cold.

In the bloodbath, Mareena acted without thinking, it was either that, or let the tribute from 11th kill Gill.
That was what she repeated to herself every time she woke up feeling her hands covered in blood; that she had done it to protect her ally, and herself, considering that from the beginning, she knew she had a better chance of getting out of there alive if she took advantage of her district parter's skills.

That was why she still hadn't succumbed to the despair and terror of knowing she had killed someone, she still had a long way to go, and reasons to go home no matter what it took. Her aunt and Finnick were waiting for her. He was outside, doing his best to help her in there. Mareena was sure, a part of her felt it with every parachute and every note, that Finnick was looking out for her. It made her smile every time she thought about it, despite everything.