Chapter 15

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷Show and Tell

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷
Show and Tell

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷Show and Tell

A Peacekeeper entered her cell. Mareena was huddled in a corner, she didn't even turn to look at him as he laid something on her bed, and behind him, three women entered as well.

"Get up," the man spoke to her with authority.

Mareena looked at him with vacant eyes, then turned her gaze to the bed, there was a beautiful dress on it, and the three women were carrying bags of make-up and hair products.

Oh, it was one of those days.

She didn't even resist as the Peacekeeper forcibly lifted her up and handed her over to the stylists.

The night before had been particularly difficult, Peeta's screams had gone on all night, and she hadn't slept a wink. Hearing him scream over and over again, and whenever the Vigilants felt like it, Peeta's screams would sound like Finnick's, or like Annie's, or like Zarya's.

She couldn't tell anymore when the boy on the cell next door was actually screaming anymore, she couldn't tell anymore if the Capitol had actually captured her family, or if it was just another game. She couldn't just tell anymore.

The fact that her face looked like a living nightmare wouldn't be a problem for the stylists, every time they came in, no matter how awfully close to insanity or death she looked, they made her look as good as new, even if she was a whiplash away from falling completely apart.

They made her makeup, hair, put on the beautiful dress that covered her bruises and wounds and half starved body. And she was ready for the show.

Two more Peacekeepers entered her cell to escort her to the presidential room, as they walked through the corridors, she passed Peeta and Johanna's cells, the boy was unconscious, while Johanna was shivering on the floor, wet. She watched Mareena pass, their eyes met for just a second, just before a Peacekeeper passed the other girl electric chokes. Mareena wanted to cry, to scream, to kick, to break free from her escorts and run to her friend. Johanna looked so thin, so broken, nothing like the woman she had known for so long.