Chapter 11

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷Panic Is a Curious Thing

––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷
Panic Is a Curious Thing

There were so many things in the Games that didn't make sense, much more to a woman who lost all memory of it

There were so many things in the Games that didn't make sense, much more to a woman who lost all memory of it. Mareena knew perfectly well she had killed to survive, that she had done things that should be consider inhumane for the sake of coming back alive, that didn't mean, tho, that she could stomach watching it all over again. That's why, no matter how many times she sat on the TV and put her tape on, no matter how many spectators told her about it, she could never finish watching, or pay too much attention to whoever talked to her about it, every time she sat and watch a little bit of it, she ended up throwing up and being inevitably sick before she saw herself making a second kill —she had, unfortunately saw how se killed her first victim, and that had forever scarred her nightmares for life—, that's why she had never known how she killed her district mate back then.
Everything that had happened in there was something only her distorted and terrified mind could know, but as was obvious, even that was a challenge.

Her life seemed to be full of those, impossible to escape, but at least now she knew the difference between drowning in blood and drowning in water, if it counted for anything.

Now, all she needed —apart from water that wasn't salty or was trying to kill her, food and sleep—, was a moment alone. So, despite Finnick's protests, she had offered to go in search of some food, anything that would give them even a little more energy.

"No," no sooner had she picked herself up off the ground and grabbed her spear than the blond man leapt off the ground like a spring and stood in her way.
"No?" She arched her eyebrows in confusion.
"No. Mareena, you must rest, at least for a little while."
"Finnick, I'm fine, just like I've been telling you for the last five times."
"Yes, but-"
"But nothing," she cut him off immediately, forcing him to shut up and listen to her, "I can take care of myself for a few minutes, I won't go far, I promise, but if I want to make it to tomorrow alive to kill those two careers, I need some sustenance, so I'll go get it, okay?" And without giving him room to argue, Mareena left after smiling in response to a "be careful" and a "don't take too long" from Katniss and Johanna.