Chapter 8

𓆝 𓆜 ––––———–––––———–┊⁀➷Alive or Dead

Alive or Dead

With what little light sleep she had had, it was not difficult for her to hear a faint noise and wake up exalted by it. When she opened her eyes, she first saw a blur, and then it became the silhouette of a tall, blond man with a melancholy expression.

"Finnick?" She asked hoarsely, rubbing her eyes and propping herself up on her hands.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," the man apologized.
"No, it's okay, what's wrong?" She sat up and looked at him, having regained full visibility after blinking several times.

But the blond's words became distorted as soon as he opened his mouth, and his silhouette became more and more of a blur.

"What are you saying? Finnick, I don't..."

For a moment Mareena was in a small panic attack, reality began to shake and she could no longer discern what was what. Until all the jumble of shapes and colours and sounds stopped and everything returned to a different normality than she had seen before. She was in the room that had been designated for these games, larger than the one in her dreams.

She took a deep breath and ran her hand over her face and hair, realising that it had all been a dream, but something in her chest, something that nagged at her, took her back to the rare visions of small fragments of her past that she had been having since the announcement of the Quarter Quell.

Before she could give voice to all the thoughts on the matter, the door opened and Farah entered the room.

"Good morning, sweetheart," her usual lively and colourful spirit was absent that morning, instead a paler than usual face that the redhaired woman had tried to hide with excessive make-up and tired, watery eyes betrayed the real effort of her smile.

Mareena mentioned none of this, and instead did her own best to hide the effects of her sleep by reciprocating the smile.

"Good morning."
"Ready?"

The chestnut took a heavy sigh and released it slowly, nodding slowly as she swung her feet off the bed.

"As ready as one can be."

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚𓆟

They were all gathered at the entrance to the lifts, she and Finnick didn't have much time to say goodbye, their hovercrafts would be leaving shortly, so none of them wasted any time in starting the final goodbyes. Farah would go with her, while Finnick's stylist would go with him.
When it was her turn to hug Annie, she stayed a little longer so she could talk to the redhead who couldn't stop crying.

"You have to be strong, okay? Zayra will take care of you and you'll take care of her, you'll keep each other company, okay?" The girl nodded and when they parted she moved into Finnick's already open arms, while Ikaris grabbed Mareena in a tight embrace.
"Against death and all its odds, Pomegranate."