Chapter 23 | Manon

I had never been to this city. It was densely populated, and although it was modest with no grand luxuries, organization prevailed. People worked in the streets, and the population seemed content; there was no sign of poverty as in other large cities.

Flying to Ansel's fortress, she was already waiting at the door. I hadn't interacted much with her, but I knew she was close to Aelin, and Aelin trusted her word. So much so that when the war ended, she didn't hesitate to return our land.

- Well, what an honor to have the Queen of Witches in our home - she said with a broad and sincere smile.
- Ansel, good to see you're well - I said, dismounting from Abraxos along with Petrah.
- Well, the last time we met, we were coming out of a war; certainly, I can only be better than back then. - She looked to my side to observe Petrah - I wish all were here, but I see you have good company. The maneuver you pulled with Iskra to save Manon was admirable, Petrah; I wanted to tell you then, but I didn't have the chance.
-I owed one to Manon, and Iskra was a piece of crap; I had been thinking about killing her for months, so... it was good - Petrah said, returning the smile.
-Come with me; I'll show you the fortress and your bedrooms.

We followed her through the stone corridors; there weren't many people working in the castle from what I could see. To the few servants we crossed paths with, Ansel greeted them by name, saying a lot about a governor.

She led us to our bedrooms, side by side; they were spacious but narrow. It was evident they weren't wasteful or extravagant, unlike other courts. It wasn't too cold, but the fireplaces were lit because the stone walls were very damp.

- I'll see you in an hour in the meeting room? From what Aelin told me, I know you don't like crowded places, so only the closest and most powerful Lords of the realm will be there to establish better trade relations.

An hour later, Petrah was waiting for me at the door.

- Ready to meet all those pompous men?
- I could say yes, but the truth is I'd prefer to rip their throats out like before rather than sit for hours listening to their pathetic offers.
- Oh, there's the sadistic iron-toothed girl I used to know - she said, giving me a half-smile.
- Well, she has always been and will be there; what can I do... and you... do you still pray to the goddesses and study their scriptures? I know there's no library in the castle, but we could build one if you want.
-Regarding that, Manon... you know, in our clan, we have some seers... and... well, I went to see one of them after the wedding. She said she saw an attack... on you, in your room.

I stopped abruptly.

-How? What else did she say? - I couldn't believe she had known all this time and hadn't told me.
- Just that. She saw an attack in your room; a witch was trying to use her power against you. She couldn't give more details because it wasn't a clear vision; that means it's not certain to happen.
- Who else knows? - It was dangerous for more people to know; it could lead to speculations about who might take my place, and that was the last thing we needed.
- Only Glennis; I told her as soon as I knew, and she said not to tell you for now, that you had too many things to think about, and that vision wasn't clear. -But... well, I thought you should know.
- Thanks, Petrah, we'll be prepared.

The meeting proceeded normally, all too long and tedious, but it seemed we could also benefit from these meetings and do business with the most important Lords. Two hours later, with several agreements signed, there was a banquet for the attendees. We sat next to Ansel, and it was quite pleasant. She told us how she managed everything after the war and introduced us to her closest advisers. We promised to meet in a month to exchange more information, and she offered assistance if a new attack occurred. She promised to inform us of anything suspicious she might see and keep her spies informed. She also thought the threat might come from her borders; after all, there were kilometers of uncontrollable forest and many people not very happy to have us as neighbors.

We were chatting when a man in his thirties approached us. He was tall, almost two meters, with sharp and rugged features, and penetrating green eyes. He had dark brown hair shoulder-length and a thick beard. He was attractive and imposing. Certainly, Petrah thought so too, as she immediately flashed him one of the most pleasing smiles I had ever seen.

- Excuse me, I wanted the pleasure of introducing myself before you left. My name is Lord Quinn; I lead the Southern Wastes. I couldn't attend this morning's meeting, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to meet our beautiful and formidable neighbors.
- Well, if you had been present at the meeting, it certainly would have been much more interesting - Petrah said, shaking his hand for him to kiss it. I looked at her in amazement; she was insatiable. I thought she had something with Fernys, but apparently, it wasn't exclusive.
- And you must be Manon Blackbeak, the Queen of Witches? Rumors of your beauty certainly don't do you justice - he said, locking his gaze on me.
- That's right - I said, returning his gaze until he had to look away - I hope our dear wyverns haven't meddled too much in your lands.
- Not at all; in fact, we find those creatures fascinating. - he said, giving me a half-smile - just like their riders.
- Well, if you behave well on the border, perhaps we can give you a ride someday, Lord Quinn - Petrah said, laughing.
- I take your word, Petrah Blueblood; I know you're a great rider. I fought with both of you in the Battle of Orynth, but I don't think we had the pleasure of meeting there.
- You fought there? With whom? - I didn't remember ever seeing this man, but there were so many people; it would have been a miracle to recognize anyone there.
- I was under Ansel's command and then under Aedion's. He's an old friend.
- Well, I'm glad we came out of that. We have to retire; tomorrow, we'll leave early. - I said, getting up from the chair, signaling to end the conversation. Since Petrah had mentioned the vision of the old Blueblood, I couldn't think of anything else, and I needed to rest for tomorrow.
- It's been a pleasure, Manon; I hope to see you again soon - and I felt he was telling the truth; he looked at me as if I were the best thing he had ever seen, and that made me uncomfortable but also liked it.

The night passed without incidents, and at dawn, Petrah and I were flying. Almost halfway, I said goodbye to her and set course for my meeting with Dorian. He wouldn't arrive for a few hours, but I needed that extra time to explore everything and understand.

Petrah would be in charge, and I would return the next day, just like the others.