Chapter 16 | Manon

I landed at the top of the castle that crowned the city. I was furious and nervous – how could I not have realized they were planning an attack? After the Battle of Orynth, the surviving witches pursued the iron teeth until there were none left. It was clear that we were wrong, and now they were out there seeking revenge.

Glennis was waiting for me as I dismounted from Abraxos. Her face was calm, but her concern was palpable.

"Summon the council immediately; there's no time to waste," I told her as I passed her and headed straight to the war room. I turned and saw she wasn't following me. "What are you waiting for, Glennis? Let's go inside, and update me on the situation; there's no time to lose."

It was pitch-black night, and an apparent calm reigned in the city of the witches. The full moon hung high in the sky, illuminating the city from the balcony of the throne room. I was waiting for my council to gather to discuss the situation. I wanted to go to the scene of the incident, but Glennis informed me that the iron teeth had been rescued and were safe in their homes, but it would take time for them to heal. Sadly, the Crochan witch who got trapped died instantly. She was only 30 years old, one of the youngest in the clan.

First, Petrah entered, wearing a floor-length light blue nightgown, her blonde hair tied in a ponytail. She had dark circles under her eyes, clearly having been busy these days and visibly worried.

"Manon, you're here," she said from the doorway, while I continued to gaze out at the sleeping city. "It's too late for a meeting."

"We're under attack, Petrah. Every minute counts," I said, looking at her inquisitively. I couldn't understand why she didn't see the urgency.

"Bluebloods were the ones trapped, Manon. They're out and will recover. It was a solo attack, one iron teeth got away, but we'll find her. Tomorrow, today you should rest. The journey from Rithfold is long, and you're exhausted," she replied. She always appeared so calm and rational that it was hard for me to say no to her.

"It will be quick. Tomorrow, we'll gather again to plan. Then Glennis, Kathalyn, Bronwen, Karsy, and Teylin Vanora entered.

"Alright, we're all here. I want an assessment of the situation," I ordered as their queen.

"That iron teeth caught us off guard. It could have been much worse. She came from the north, from the Wastes, and descended from the sky, just as you trained us. I'm sure she was following your orders in Morath," Bronwen reported.

"She was a lone rider, but there are likely more. It seemed like a warning; she wanted us to know we couldn't be at ease. She was a yellowlegs, I don't know her name, but she was from Iskra's clan. We weren't as efficient as we thought. I don't know how many might be out there, but it seems they are organizing," Petrah added.

"That's not all. When she fled, she dropped a weapon. It's a new sword, not like the ones used in Morath. Someone is sponsoring them," Teylin said.

"Well, we don't know how many iron teeth are out there, but they want to harm us, and we know they are organized and someone is supporting them," I said, more to myself than to the others. "There will be more attacks. We need to be ready. I want surveillance on the walls at all times, and the shadows to watch the surroundings. We need to know if they're nearby or where they're hiding. And most importantly, find out who is sponsoring them. It has to be someone wealthy enough to provide weapons like the one we found. Search in Anielle and the neighboring lands of Lores of the Wastes."

"Understood, My Queen," Karsy said. I glanced at her, "I mean Manon."

I deeply hated it when they referred to me with those formalities. I still found it hard to accept what I was. And after the attack, I wasn't even sure if I deserved that title.

"Well, now rest, and we'll meet again at first light. Before that, I want to visit the Bluebloods who were trapped and the family of the Crochan who died," Petrah nodded in my direction.

They all left the room for their quarters, except Glennis, who remained, looking at me from the table.

"This isn't your fault, you know," she said calmly as she stared at me.

"I wasn't here. When we were attacked, I wasn't here," I said with a clenched jaw, more to myself than to her.

"You don't have to be here all the time. You can delegate to us. We're a people now, and we're united. You can't control everything, Manon."

"I try, but... I was with Dorian, you know? While they were trapped, I was with the King of Adarlan in his gardens. I'm not being a good queen," I admitted, feeling ashamed to face her, thinking only of myself at that moment, being selfish.

"Why exactly is that wrong, dear?" she asked, furrowing her brow.

"Because I'm in charge, and because I'm the queen, and I have to take care of all these people. These witches have... we've suffered too much, and now it's my duty to protect them."

"Who told you that? Who exactly told you that?" Silence. She continued, "All of us here follow you; we chose you as our queen because we believe in you. You brought us home and united us as a people. You don't have to prove it every day. We all know what you've done and who you are, and here we are, fighting for what you fought for that day, for everything we sacrificed."

Silence. Glennis got up and headed for the door to leave the room, but she stopped and turned to me.

"I don't want you to forget that this is your responsibility, and all of ours. But I also don't want you to forget to live, Manon. Don't forget that," she said, taking more steps toward the door. "And Dorian, that poor boy, I don't know how you'd react, but it wasn't his fault, it's not his fault, or yours."

The door closed, and I was left alone, still gazing out at the city. They had chosen to follow me, and they had chosen to stay.

And Dorian... I hadn't treated him very well. I should write to him or say something, but I didn't know how to apologize. I would see him in a few days at Elide's wedding; I would wait to see him to explain myself. I had more important things to do right now.