Chapter 5 | Manon

Glenis had arranged for my riding clothes and cloak to be cleaned. She knew me all too well and understood that there was no way I would wear a dress to the coronation. I must admit, for the first time in my conscious memory, I felt a certain aversion to my attire, especially to my cloak. I knew it was a symbol, or at least it had been, with which I no longer entirely agreed. Nevertheless, it no longer smelled of death and was free of dirt. It had even been stitched where some unwelcome individuals had managed to wound me during the battle, so I couldn't complain.

I decided not to dwell on it any further and quickly put it on, and it fit my body effortlessly as usual. Then, I draped the cloak over my shoulders, and finally, I placed the crown upon my head. I would never admit it in public, but in that moment when I saw my reflection in the room's mirror, ready to step in front of the entire Kingdom of Erilea (or what was left of it), crowned as the Queen of the Witches, I felt a certain dizziness. But it was my destiny, it had always been, and now more than ever, I had to make it clear who I was and what I was capable of. After everything we had risked, all the witches left behind, I had to be more worthy of my people than ever before.

While Glenis took care of my clothing, Petra had spent quite some time styling my hair, despite my initial resistance. To be honest, it would have been impossible for me to untangle the hair that reached almost down to my waist on my own. I thought about braiding it again, as I did when I flew or fought, but if I wanted to present a different image, I would have to make certain changes. Wearing my white hair loose (something I didn't usually do), along with my starry crown, would create a much more imposing image. And so, I did just that. The three of us got ready and made our way to the grand hall.

There weren't many resources after the war, but I must admit they had done well. The hall was decorated with birch leaves and garlands, and a delicious aroma wafted from the kitchens. I tried not to think about it because, for some inexplicable reason, food had been the only thing on my mind lately.

The doors swung open abruptly, and it was our turn. I tried to keep the most neutral expression possible, but it was undeniable that the situation didn't sit well with me. I was quite independent by nature, and being surrounded by so many people was definitely not my preferred plan. I attempted to maintain composure, with Glenis and Petra by my side, aiming to convey the image of unity and solemnity. Deep down, however, I also wanted to instill fear. The realm of the witches had suffered greatly for a long time, and now our reconstruction was beginning. I didn't want anyone to think, even for a moment, that we were weak.

The hall fell silent as we entered, and I could read solemnity, gratitude, and in some cases, even a hint of compassion on the faces of those present. Many of them had fought long before we arrived, and they knew that our appearance had been the only chance to prevent Orynth from falling much earlier. The survivors themselves had witnessed the witch towers and what the Thirteen had done for us, so I knew I would have the respect and support of many.

Instinctively, my gaze turned towards the front, where Dorian stood. It was evident that he had been born to be a king someday; the crown seemed like an extension of his very being, and the solemnity he exuded was utterly surprising to those of us who knew him well. He would make a good king, of that I was sure. By his side, I noticed someone staring at me intently, whom I understood to be his second, Chaol. I couldn't decipher what his gaze conveyed, but I knew we wouldn't have an easy path ahead. Next to them stood his wife, Yrene, who was largely responsible for us being there. She, too, looked at me intently, but there wasn't a trace of fear in her; on the contrary, there was much joy, and I even sensed a fair amount of curiosity.

As I made my way forward, I sensed another fixed gaze coming from one of the sidelines. I discreetly turned to see who on earth was so impertinent as to look at me that way. There stood Fernys, my nocturnal companion, who, as promised, was wearing much more clothing on this occasion. He nodded his head as I headed to my seat. I noticed that Dorian was the only one who noticed this gesture, and he looked at me curiously.

When we were all seated, Aelin appeared from the doors of the hall, wearing a rather beautiful dress, even if it didn't seem very comfortable. By her side was Rowan, as always; I rarely saw him far from her. They were quite intense, and sometimes I wondered if Aelin felt the same way. It didn't seem like it, as she was tremendously excited, and although I refused to admit it, so was I.

It was all over. We had won. It was hard for me to believe because, even though we had risked everything to fight against Erawan, I was never truly convinced that we would come out of it alive.
When the coronation ceremony was over, the witches began to gather their belongings; there was no time to waste. We had to gather everything to leave at dawn. I was nervous, excited, and determined to give my best for my people.