Chapter 7: I know, I love you too

• • •

"Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates
and guys are just people to have fun with."

- Carrie Bradshaw

• • •

"Daws?"

Gossip.

Skinny, blonde, blue-eyed, british gossip. Descriptive words used to describe Helena Fuller-Mulligan, the daughter of the country's top news reporter, Patricia Fuller and European shipping lines mogul, Harry Mulligan. Her parents were headquartered further north in the country but sent Helena to study in Mercedes because when you're both too busy to attend to your daughter, why not send her somewhere where she can pretend that her parents might care for her? Ignoring someone behind their back is so much easier than doing it in front of them.

"Lena," Dawson grinned as he stood up to embrace the blonde.

I lowered my eyes and shoved another piece of garlic bread into my mouth.

It was a known fact that Helena and Dawson were once on-again off-again partners, having been in all the same classes and attending all the same school clubs. The Ledger's owned several financing firms all over Mercedes and other areas in the country, making the Mulligan's and Ledger's close family friends due to power.

"Oh honey, it's so good to see you," Helena exclaimed as she pulled Dawson in close, her chin resting right on Dawson's shoulder as he wrapped her arms around her waist.

It was the most blatant display of affection I had ever seen.

"It's been a while, how's Clarissa?" Dawson asked as he pulled away slightly, still holding Helena.

Helena scoffed and waved her hand.

"Dumped her. I'm with someone new. Philippa Garner, the butcher's girl."

Philippa Garner came from an influential, kind family in Mercedes, to belittle her to a 'butcher's girl' in Helena's words had me recoiling in shock. Helena didn't seem to mind the shocked expression on my face and I'm pretty sure she hadn't noticed me.

Dawson seemed to catch my look of contempt for his friend and replied-

"The Garner's supply meat for every high-end restaurant in the city."

"Exactly, the butcher's girl," She yawned, pulling away fully from Dawson now.

Unfortunately, now that she wasn't coiled around him like a snake, her attention landed on me. Immediately, her eyes shone with recognition and her smile quirked up.

"Atria St. James," She stated as she pushed Dawson to the side and slipping into the seat he had been occupying before she arrived. Dawson now held the shock expression I once was.

"That's me," I answered as I glanced up at Dawson who glanced back down at me with a shrug. What did Helena want?

"You're Cassidy's friend." She nodded, looking me up and down. Her eyes were judgemental, like she was testing my appearance, checking off boxes that met her approval. "Not bad at all."

"How do you know Cassidy?"

"We go to the same club," She answered quickly before throwing me another question. "Weren't you that chubby little thing with horrid acne who always clinged to Marcus Ledger and Elenor Sin Clair?"

I pursed my lips as she did the same thing Gavin had done. Hit me with insecurities that I had believed were long-gone.

I was about to retort, a witty remark that would make up for the one I couldn't give Gavin, but before I could someone else answered for me.