Chapter 3: It's great to be home

• • •

"Home is where the heart is"

- Gaius Plinius Secundus

• • •

"What's he doing here?"

He's here for you, I thought to myself as I pulled Cassidy down the stairs. She let out a surprised yelp, not expecting my actions.

"Probably picking up Marcus." I continued to pull Cassidy along, trying my best to avoid Dawson's gaze. They were hot and burning, curious and amused by my avoidance of his stare.

It's not like he's here for you. I pursed my lips and tugged Cassidy quicker.

"Marcus already left," Cassidy said, huffing as I continued to walk faster. "Why are we avoiding Dawson?"

"We're not avoiding him," I replied to her, rolling my eyes.

"Oh because not saying hi to an old friend who's currently waving at us isn't avoiding them."

I turned my head and cringed when I saw Dawson waving at us, a smug smile on his lips, as if a non-student man waving at kids at a school was not creepy. It didn't matter if we were college students and attending a university, it was still weird.

"He's probably not waving at us—h-hey! Don't wave back at him." I grabbed Cassidy's hand and pushed it back to her side, which earned a glare and an eye roll from her.

"I don't get it," She grumbled. Suddenly, she dug her feet into the ground, causing me to be pulled back into her from the abrupt stop.

"Cass-"

"Look, he's coming over to us now," She pointed out, tilting her head to the side as she observed Dawson.

I let out a strained noise, frustrated and annoyed as we both watched Dawson make his way towards us in a slow jog. My eyes and lips thinned as I thought about how much of a creep he looked approaching us in a semi-empty parking lot.

Finally stopping in front of us, he gave Cassidy a dazzling smile, ignoring the way I was glaring at him harshly.

"Cass, Tria" He greeted politely, his eyes only stopping on me for a split second before resting on Cassidy. Once again, I let out an annoyed sigh and crossed my arms, looking away from them.

"Hey Daws." Cass looked him up and down before smirking to herself. She looked me in the eye and I looked at her too, understanding the meaning behind her glance. Because I understood, I rolled my eyes once more.

"Mind telling me why Tria is adamant on avoi-ow!"

Cassidy glared at me and I glared back harder, mouthing the words 'shut the fuck up'. Dawson seemed amused by the interaction and let out a light chuckle before turning his eyes to me, a glint of something secretive in them. I shut my eyes tightly, hoping he wouldn't say that we had lunch together. Knowing Cassidy, it would invite too much questions.

"Hmm, no idea honestly," Dawson thought, making me smile because I believed he'd leave it at that. "I mean, I thought that after our lunch we'd be thicker than thieves."

"Mmph!" I let out a strained noise while hitting him on the shoulder, looking at him with furrowed brows and wide eyes.

I quickly turned to look at Cassidy but she was already staring at me, conflicted emotions passing through her blue eyes.

"You guys had lunch together?" Cassidy looked at me, a confused look on her face. "Didn't you have class?"

"She did but I caught up with her and she was more than happy to join me for a meal." He was lying through his teeth. I continued to glare at him, letting out little huffs of air as I tried to control my beating heart.