Chapter 6: Hush, Child

• • •

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

- Marthe Troly Crutin

• • •

The Silver Market Megamall was one of the largest malls in the state, sitting on the border of Mercedes and it's neighboring city Isabela. During the weekends the mall was packed with students from all the rich universities in the area who were looking to spend their family's fortune on items that would be tossed to the back of their closet by the end of the month. Unfortunately, despite my own personal belief that I'm not the type of person to blow off my entire allowance in one day, when it happens more times than you can count then being delusional switches to being spoiled.

I was at the mall, waiting for Dawson to appear. After I had agreed with him last night at the hospital I began to text him the details of how we would approach the situation. After much deliberation the administration had come up with a set of rules:

1. Cassidy can never find out
2. Marcus can never find out
3. Silver Market Megamall will be the designated meeting spot (Cassidy and Marcus rarely go here)
4. My contribution to our plans must only be advice and never full participation
5. If ever the plan goes wrong or anyone ever finds out, we immediately cut ties and collect our losses
6. Have fun (Dawson thought he was funny)

Now that the set of rules had been laid out for us to follow, all that was left was to take action.

However, as I continued to browse the shelves of the Chanel store I began to feel my fingers twitch and my lips purse into a pout. My card was calling out to me from inside my new chanel bag I had purchased just last week and I had to hold my hands in front of my chest to prevent myself from reaching in. To make matters worst, I could see from the corner of my eye one of the Chanel associates (their saleslady) walking up to me.

"Ms. Saint James! Back so soon," The woman, Henrietta, exclaimed in a not-so-surprised tone. She clasped her hands together in front of her, a practiced, tight-lipped smile on her face as she blinked at me like a bird expecting to be fed.

I turned to face her with a similar expression on my face except my bird looked like it wanted to get out of here quick. "Oh Henri, hello, yes, I'm just here to browse this time."

"Oh? Is that so?"

She didn't sound like she believed me.

"Yes, I've realized that my closet is filled with too much golden C's."

"Can't have too much, besides, gold dazzles just like how you do when you walk into this store Ms. Saint James. Now, would you like to look into those new arrivals you weren't able to see last time?"

"Yes . . ."

Self-control had left the building. As I followed Henrietta to wherever dark corner of the shop she was taking me to I prayed for a sign—one that would save my wallet from eternal damnation. Just as Henrietta grabbed a bag from a high shelf, it's gold-plated, leather design speaking to me on another dimension-

"I think it'll suit you."

My head quickly snaps over my shoulder to meet the eyes of Dawson whose gaze was focused on Henrietta as she stepped down from her ladder, showing us the bag with a smile that shined just like the gold colored bag.