prologue

———————-
"to remember is to live and to live is to remember. remembering to die isn't really worth living for."
————————
TW: body horror sort of idk. a little bit

———
THE CONCEPT OF MEMORY entrusted by the Gods in our hands to truly remember what we are, who we meet, even when it breaks our hearts who we love. From the moment of conception, they say you are bound to remember things you'll actually die for.

However, there are some things that will itch the side of your brain until it bleeds, begging you to retain this piece of useless information to relive that moment once more. It clutches you into a force of gravity titling you to the point you can't focus on anything but that. Squeezing your eyes close, scratching your head, recalling places you have been to just get that reminiscing feeling back. And for a split second when you have it in your clutches it bursts into flames. Exploding like a confetti bomb disappearing into dust, away and away. Just until one day it starts over again and again and again.

'Again' she thinks 'so close to me yet so far from my body'.

If anything she was a bunch of cells mushed together into a being to live once more the pain of their lasting doom.

'So, so dramatic' she thinks once more.

Watching the world, as the older people get wheeled outside or gently escorted to go to sleep forever. Because that's what they do, they make you believe one day just one day you'll see the light of the sun, the feeling of grass with bugs and roots of the flowers the toddlers rip out with grimy hands. The calls of the owners to their dogs and the birds shitting on the people or on the ground as they sing their songs.

Happiness and pleasure seeped into every bone just so, so ecstatic to be alive. Instead of withering away in the depths of hell in the hands of the ones we call our helpers to lift us up, to tear us down. Every single hour of every single minute.

————

ONE, TWO, THREE, three, two, one, crack, crunch, chew, smack, turn, twist, slide. they have moved again, it doesn't like when they stay in the same place. It likes to confuse, it likes to be that one memory, the one you'll never really remember. She knows when they moved, his whispering starts again, the pills start to double and her hands start to shake. And her memories start to fall apart like the tower of Pisa awaiting its long lasting crumble.

Margaret is supposed to be better now, she has to be better and not wasting her life away in the cage they lock her in. She'll never get better, not here and not now. She had never lived past these moments when she's not sitting in the chair they drag her too. Or playing the boring game of chess that seems to last forever.

She isn't what she was before, she was a distant memory of her. The woman her poor father tried to save instead of the wailing baby in his arms. The girl everyone once thought of was sweet and poor like the rain latching on the greedy trees. She was and still is that man's first love, no matter how many they tell her she isn't.

She should've never trusted him at all, his love was poison. Poison that seeped everywhere. In every thought, word and action she has done. She was frail to them, the ones took care of her. When they met her she was lovely, loved and free. And then while time passed she was ugly, snarky and filled with greed.

Mar, that's he used to call her when he would stroke her hair and pinched her cheeks. Giggling she would kick him and tug on his blond hair to kiss him. Their love was written deep in the silk embroidered sheets, she slept in. Phrases and words fluffed the very pillow she dreamed on. How unfortunate for her for her bed to be as solid as a corpse and her dreams to be dark as nightmares.

Her grip tightened, eyes filling with "blood" trailing down her face as her neck choked it itself up. She could hear the screaming of nurses, to make her calm down. She couldn't stop for all she knew it never stopped. Until her eyes would roll into the milky white space, concealing her sickly blue eyes that were wavering close to white into the pits of darkness. The nurses would wait till she woke again to drag her to see the doctor, who would triple the pills and force water and food down her throat to change her into a normal like state. So she can return to the world she's supposed to be in. Not the one he carved her into. Or the one she wanted to desperately love him in.

He put her here for a reason she repeated over and over again. He needs her here for a reason, a destiny for her. A life changing moment to change to bring hope, to erase him. There was a reason and all she had to do is wait. Wait for that right moment for everything to start just one more time.

And so she'll wait for the so-called hero's to enter the room and try to find her as if isn't hidden by the clasp of force that is him. She'll sit to remember not to move, not help them. The so-called heroes that come into the labyrinth to look for her aren't the ones she's supposed to help. They make her wither into a syrup of pride and triumph to use across their quest.

As the true heroes lead by earth's forbidden children walk amongst the voids once more. The heroes she has to help don't look for her; they never do. Instead they allow themselves to be twisted and turned and pushed and pulled across the walls of inferno only to stumble and ask for her graces. Margaret doesn't give graces she watches unalarmed unbothered. For she knows she will join them, to protect them, 'how much protection can she give?'.

To her they are only children suffering in the clutches of their own hands. Crawling like sheep to their ungiven doom led by their parents disguised as Shepherds. The concept of memory isn't a concept, it isn't a fact. What it is and how it is engraved in her brain. That is the truth, a good one. The truth isn't always good. But maybe to Margaret the truth would tell her everything she needs to hear. To wake her up the fantasy she cowardly deludes herself into.
———

———
"Through sickness and health, we often vow. When will the vow break? Only time will tell."
———

NOTES

So um , here's the prologue. Can you guess what book this takes place in ?? no dialogue here because I wanted to describe what she feels and sees and what her fate is 😜
She had thoughts they aren't said out loud but most of the writing is internal. This the rewritten version. So there might be differences !! Any any feedback is welcomed !!!

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!

EXTREMELY UNEDITED

—merrycookie