Occhi Dei Re

Part of a story I'm working on. Works as a one shot! Look out for the actual story when I eventually (eventually) post it!
-
Thirteen years since
The Incident

Sun Wukong was grieving. He laid in the comfort of his bed for days at a time, he did not eat and for most of those nights he did not sleep. Each day did not grow any better. No, it would never get better without him by his side. He felt as though things would never get better without him.

He knew that soon he would need to get up and continue his journey to the west. And for once in his life, he wished to stay in his bed and do nothing.

Before much could happen throughout the morning, he heard chatter. Usually, the chatter was about mundane matters unrelated to the outside world. This was mostly because they had never left the mountain. They had never even been to a city.

Why would they leave? This is their home. He wished he never left his home in the first place.

'New king?' One spoke. There was no new king on this mountain. He knew of everything important that happens on this island. 'Shadows on other land' another said. Someone had decided to take the forest covered island far from his own.

For now he would not visit the neighboring island for he still grieved after the years that passed.

—<3—

The land was surrounded by a forest filled with darkness. This land was the surrounding territory of a kingdom. Well, that's what the map said. Sun Wukong was on his way to meet the kingdom neighboring his own. In all honesty he did not know where he was going. Hence why he is carrying the map alongside him.

He was having a hard time reading the map..

It has been centuries and centuries since the kingdom was built and yet he hasn't even bothered to visit the island. Not once have they spoken and he, the Monkey King decided to finally meet the rivaling nation.

Separating the beaches sand from the forest's grass was a thick layer of flora, a path made of pebbles and stones splitting the woodlands in half. As soon as he reached the vegetation the atmosphere became foreboding and tense.

Others would likely consider the oddly foggy forest frightening.

Unlike others who might attempt this journey, Sun Wukong continued, following the path made of gravel. Each step he took meant he was getting closer to the King of Shadows. Alongside the eerie familiarity this kingdom gave him he felt very unprepared to meet the shadowed king.

While he is still quite far away, due to the fact he has just crossed the ocean separating the two nations, he still felt closer to the kingdom. The trees around him seemed to dance against the wind. Birds seem to chirp with each step he took.

And eyes seemed to follow him everywhere.

He wanted to get out of this forest, quickly.

The Monkey King flew on his nimbus cloud the rest of the way, trying his best to read and follow the map in his hand.

He was ecstatic when he saw the kingdom walls soon appear. He was also kind of nervous. Surely the king would ask why he had never visited before. And he also was showing up unannounced.. not a good combo.

Soon enough a kingdom's gate entered his view. The walls of the kingdom had some sort of tropical vines growing on them, the atmosphere suddenly shifted to that of a more lively one.

He approached the gate and reached a pair of guards.. Guards? In this day and age? At least, he thinks they're guards as they are adored with polearms, their outfits don't exactly call out 'protecting with my life' though.