Chapter 3 : First Dinners and Break-In?

Start from the beginning

"Ow! What was that for?" The smack on my head snapped me out of my smug mode. I patted down my hair to make sure the curls weren't ruined, as a pout settled on my lips.

"You have no idea how long it took to do those! I've spent the past two hours getting ready." I continued fixing my hair to make sure everything was back in place. I should've known it was no use when just after I finished speaking, his hand came down on my head and ruffled all my hair!

"This is what you got in 2 hours, sis? Wow." His sarcastic tone, paired with his ruffling hand in my hair made me let out a shriek as I tried to move away from his hands. A laugh escaped him as he ran behind me to make my hair even more messy.

The entrance was filled with our laughter and screams as we both tried our best to annoy each other. I ran to hide behind baba as soon as he walked in, all ready in his grey formal attire, looking so charming and dashing. He laughed when he saw what we were doing.

"Baba, help me! He's trying to ruin my look!"

"Baba, she keeps stepping in my business. And you talk as if that's a look to begin with. Come out of there, you little gremlin!" he tried reaching into my hiding place behind baba, while trying to sound like he was annoyed. As if anyone will believe that when he has that shit-eating grin on his face.

Stupid antics like this always made Baba break out into laughter. We were still trying to annoy each other when our fun was interrupted by mama walking downstairs, all decked in a beautiful blue, lightly embroidered sari. With heels on her feet, she looked even more taller than her usual 5 '8'' height.

She had a smile on her face till her gaze fell upon us - me hiding behind baba, baba having his arms outstretched, shielding me, bhai trying to reach over baba's shoulder to ruffle my hair. But that wasn't the worst part, no. The worst part was all our outfits and looks were messed up by our constant playing around. And we could see mama didn't find that as funny as we did.

"What happened here?!" All three of us quickly tried straightening up and fixing ourselves. I quickly got out from behind baba and ran my fingers through my hair to get rid of the tangles. The curls were gone but oh well, no point crying over those. Baba fixed his tie and coat. And bhai, that idiot, decided he's just gonna smile and try to charm mama instead of fixing himself.

*Smack* 

That, my friends, is the sound of what happens when you piss off your mother before a formal event. A chortle almost escaped my throat when mama hit bhai on the back of his head as soon as he came close to her and said, "Hey, mama.", with that stupid smile on his face. At least it caused bhai to fix his hair and clothes. Baba's situation was worse since his laughter actually escaped, earning him a hard glare from mama.

"Today is such a special day for your sister. I asked you people to do one thing - stay presentable! But no, when do you ever bother to listen to me -"

"We didn't listen? The special girl isn't on time, even today. All we did was try to have some fun while waiting for her." Huzaifa interrupted mama's scolding. That guy has a death wish, I tell you. If I had done that, I would be buried 6-feet under within moments.

"What's wrong with that? It's her special day and she wants to look perfect." Mama retorted, coming to the defence of sis.

"Can you at least ask her to hurry up? We're supposed to be there at 7pm and it's already half past 6. And it's going to take us at least 40 minutes to reach. You really want to keep the Khan's waiting today?" Phew! Baba spoke in between, trying to diffuse the situation. Any second longer and there would have been an argument. Just then, a voice came from the top of the stairs.