Chapter Five: A Deadly Game: Bloodstains and Ballroom Secrets.

Start from the beginning

"Did anyone touch or move the body?" Gabriel probed, a crucial detail that could make or break the case.

He squinted his eyes. "No, Detective. Mrs. Smith was wise enough not to tamper with anything. She immediately alerted us, and I arrived at the scene to secure it," Sir James affirmed.

Gabriel pulled out his clip recorder and handed it to Sir James. "I need you to record the scene." he instructed, setting the wheels of the investigation in motion.

Switching to his full on detective mode, Gabriel began in a methodical, monotone vein, "The victim is unidentified, female, young, age about 18 to 22. Apparent homicide, The White hotel , Suite 512. Present and acting as primary, Detective Gabriel Ember. Also present acting as temporary aide in recording this log, Security Chief, Sir James. Dispatch has been notified."

Gabriel moved closer to the body, "Fibers from the pillowcase were strewn about, indicating the violent nature of the suffocating struggle."

His hazel eyes glanced around the room again. "The room bears no signs of forced entry, and there were no obvious signs of a struggle beyond the victim's immediate vicinity. The killer left no traces."

Turning to Sir James, who was diligently recording the details, he inquired, "Have you captured it from this angle?"

Sir James gave a confirming nod.

"Alright then. I'll need to proceed with speaking to the management," Gabriel stated

As if on cue, Scarlett Blackwood walked in, her long hair falling gracefully on her shoulders. She looked worried.

"What's going on?" she exclaimed, her voice carrying a mix of confusion and concern. Her gaze swept the room, seeking answers that seemed elusive.

Upon spotting Gabriel, her brows furrowed in a combination of surprise and puzzlement. "What are you doing here?" she questioned.

"What do you think? I was assigned this case," he replied, the passive aggressiveness unmistakable in his retort.

He had every right to be angry, even though many years had passed.

Their eyes locked in an awkward silence, an unspoken tension hanging heavy in the air. Seconds felt like minutes as they stood there, each waiting for the other to make the next move, their unspoken history and the weight of the present moment adding an extra layer of complexity to the scene.

Gabriel broke the silence "Look, we're both professionals here. Let's forget the past and focus on getting this young woman justice."

He ruffled his hair as he talked. Even though she was married, the hair thing still had an effect on her. A crazy effect.

Scarlett hesitated, her expression caught between defiance and a flicker of agreement. After a brief pause, She nodded in agreement, her features softening. "You're right. Justice is what matters now," she responded.

Scarlett and Gabriel used to be crazy in love. Their hearts set on a wild adventure. They had planned to run away together and start a new life somewhere with a beautiful sunset and a gorgeous beach like Hawaii. Three children — two girls with Scarlett's grace and one boy with Gabriel's adventurous spirit. That was before Scarlett's dad forced Adrian, Gabe's best friend into her life.

Now, they find themselves brought together again due to a tragic event, their past love and unresolved feelings lingering beneath the surface.

"How's Kira doing?" Gabriel asked, concerned about his Goddaughter.

Scarlett gazed out of the window, her expression guarded. "She's okay. As happy as she can be." Though her words were positive, her voice carried a hint of weariness.

"Good to know. Love that kid." He had watched Kira grow over the years, and despite the complexities of his relationship with her parents, his affection for her was unwavering.

"Who's dead?" Scarlett asked.

An ominous change of topic.

"Still unidentified. Do you know her?" Gabriel questioned pointing at the lifeless woman on the bed. Scarlett studied the woman for a few moments, her brow furrowing in concentration.

After a pause, she shook her head. "No, I don't."

Gabriel tried to read her but couldn't. She had always been too good at pretending. He would take her 'no' with a pinch of salt; there could be more to it than met the eye.

"I'll need to interview Mrs Smith, the housekeeper and access to the CCTV footage of the last seventy two hours."

Scarlett nodded in agreement, her demeanor businesslike as she responded, "No problem."

With that, Scarlett turned away, still veiling her thoughts. This left Gabriel with an unsettling feeling.