21. The Window on the West

At Henneth Annûn, Faramir and one of his rangers look over a map. "What news?" Faramir asks, Madril, Faramir's second in command, speaks as he points to the map, "Our scouts report Saruman has attacked Rohan. Théoden's people have fled to Helm's Deep. But we must look to our own borders. Faramir, orcs are on the move. Sauron is marshalling an army. Easterlings and Southrons are passing through the Black Gate." Faramir sighs,

"How many?" he asks, needing to know but not wanting to. "Some thousands. More come every day." Madril says and Faramir's heart drops. "Who's covering the river to the north?" he questions, wanting to see what he can do with all the info his men gathered. "We pulled five hundred men out of Osgiliath, but if the city is attacked, we won't hold it." Madril informs. Faramir looks to the map again.

"Saruman attacks from Isengard. Sauron from Mordor. The fight will come to men on both fronts. Gondor is weak. Sauron will strike us soon. And he will strike hard. He knows now we do not have the strength to repel him." Faramir states as he points at the two places on the map. "Any news of my brother?" Faramir asks, always asking at least once a day maybe twice. "He was seen with a ranger, an elf, a dwarf and a red haired woman heading towards Rohan," 

A man across from him and Madril said. "Ok, at least we know where he is should we need him." Faramir says. Stepping away from the maps, Faramir steps into the storage area where the Hobbits stand unhooded and untied. Faramir approaches them. "My men tell me that you are orc spies." Faramir says as he strides towards them. Frodo notes to himself that Faramir moves the same way that Boromir does.

"Spies! Now wait just a minute." Sam snaps. "Well if you're not spies, then who are you?" The hobbits remain silent and Faramir sits down. "Speak." Faramir says his tone neither harsh nor sharp, but firm and authoritative. Frodo thinks for a moment, wondering what Thilia would do in his situation, he remembers how she was with Galadriel a High Lady, and realizes, he just needs to tell as much of the truth as is needed for them to get moving again.

"We are hobbits of the Shire. Frodo Baggins is my name and this is Samwise Gamgee." Frodo introduces. Faramir looks at Sam and then settles his eyes on Frodo, "Your bodyguard?" Sam sneers slightly, "His gardener." Faramir's eyes flicker over to Frodo again, "And where is your skulking friend? That gangrel creature. He had an ill-favored look." Faramir asks, while watching both of the hobbits.

Frodo thinks for a moment, before answering, "I don't know, he disappeared when you and your men took us, I'm using him to get to where Sam and I need to go." Frodo said keeping the mission close to the chest. "We set out from Rivendell with eight companions. One we lost in Moria. Two were my kin. A dwarf there was also. And an elf. And a woman. And two men. Aragorn, son of Arathorn and Boromir of Gondor." Frodo says naming the two men.

"You are friend of Boromir?" Faramir states confusingly. "Yes, for my part." Faramir stands about to leave, "did something happen is he okay?" Frodo asks, wanting to know if Boromir is okay, and by association Thilia and the others as well. "Last I heard he's at Helm's Deep with the rest of his companions." Faramir stated and Frodo and Sam let out a breath of relief. 

***

In the caves of Henneth Annûn, Faramir sits alone thinking about his last day with Boromir before he left for the meeting in Rivendell. A crowd at Osgiliath, facing Boromir. "Boromir!" the crowd of men cheers, Boromir is waving the white flag of the Stewards. "Boromir!" the crowd cheers again. Boromir stands upon a high wall in Osgiliath. He lifts his sword and addresses a crowd of Gondorian soldiers below.

"This city was once the jewel of our kingdom. A place of light, and beauty, and music. And so it shall be once more!" He starts, giving a speech to boost moral. The crowd cheers. "Let the armies of Mordor know this: Never again will the land of my people fall into enemy hands." More cheering erupts. "The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed. For Gondor!" he cheers with his sword high and his hand holding the post for the flag.

"For Gondor!" the crowd cheers, "For Gondor!" Boromir shouts with a smile, "For Gondor!" the crowd shouts back, "For Gondor!" Boromir shouts one last time, "For Gondor!" the crowd replies.

***

Back on the streets, Faramir and Boromir meet and embrace. "Good speech. Nice and short." Faramir says as he leans out of his brother's embrace. "Leaves more time for drinking!" Boromir laughs, "Break out the ale! These men are thirsty!" he orders with a cheer, the men cheer in excitement. "Remember today, little brother. Today, life is good." Boromir says as he take a gulp of ale, Faramir looks past Boromir and stops smiling.

Boromir seeing this frowns, "What?" he muses, "He is here." Faramir states as he and Boromir hide frowns of annoyance. "One moment of peace. Can he not give us that?" Boromir growls softly before turning to greet their father as Denethor moves towards them. "Where is he? Where is Gondor's finest? Where is my first-born?" Boromir fights to roll his eyes before turning to greet Denethor.

"Father!" Boromir and Denethor embrace. "They say you vanquished the enemy almost single-handedly." Denethor says overexaggerating a lot of what happened in one statement. "They exaggerate. The victory belongs to Faramir also." Boromir says as he tried to share this victory with his little brother but Denethor would not have any of it. "But for Faramir, this city would still be standing. Were you not entrusted to protect it?" the older man insults. 

Faramir frown increases, "I would have done, but our numbers were too few." Denethor scoffs and mocks Faramir, "Oh, too few. You let the enemy walk in and take it on a whim. Always you cast a poor reflection on me." Boromir is trying to hide his growing anger, "That is not my intent." Faramir says his heart breaking at the look in his father's eyes as he sees no love for him there.  "You give him no credit and yet he tries to do your will." Boromir hisses,

Boromir withdraws to an alcove filled with anger at his father and sadness for his brother. Denethor follows. "He loves you, Father." Boromir snaps trying to get his father to see sense. But Denethor is uninterested. "Do not trouble me with Faramir. I know his uses, and they are few. We have more urgent things to speak of. Elrond of Rivendell has called a meeting. He will not say why, but I have guessed its purpose." Denethor states, pausing for a moment before adding,

"It is rumored that the weapon of the enemy has been found." Boromir frowns, "The One Ring. Isildur's Bane." Denethor sets his hand on Boromir's shoulder. "It has fallen into the hands of the Elves. Everyone will try to claim it: Men, Dwarves, wizards. We cannot let that happen. This thing must come to Gondor." Boromir frowns, "Gondor." Boromir is instantly reminded of what he needs to do for Gondor not people he doesn't even know in Rivendell.

"It's dangerous, I know. Ever the Ring will seek to corrupt the hearts of lesser men. But you, you are strong and our need is great. It is our blood which is being spilled, our people who are dying. Sauron is biding his time. He's massing fresh armies. He will return. And when he does, we will be powerless to stop him. You must go. Bring me back this mighty gift." Boromir frowns, and shoves free of his father.

"No. My place is here with my people. Not in Rivendell." He shouts over his shoulder, "Would you deny your own father?" Denethor shouts back, Faramir having heard everything but staying out of the conversation steps up, "If there is need to go to Rivendell, send me in his stead." Faramir says wanting to help his big brother, "You?" Denethor scoffs, "Oh, I see. A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality. I think not." Denethor sneers,

"I trust this mission only to your brother. The one who will not fail me." Faramir and Boromir both give up and give in. Later on Boromir sits his horse and looks up at the flag of the Stewards. Faramir steps up to Boromir and they look at each other. "Remember today, little brother." Boromir says before he rides away.