10. The Black Gate is Closed

It's early afternoon, as Treebeard walks through the forest, carrying Merry and Pippin on his shoulders. The two Hobbits are clearly antsy and tired, "Oh rowan mine I saw you shine upon a summer's day. Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft." Treebeard says reciting a poem of some kind to the two Hobbits who are clearly not paying attention. Merry yawns.

"Such a beautiful verse." Treebeard muses, Merry looking at the seemingly never ending trees, asks, "Is it much further?" Treebeard makes this noise in the back of his throat, before he answers, "Bru-ra-hroom. Don't be hasty. You might call it far perhaps. My home lies deep in the forest near the roots of the mountain. I told Gandalf I would keep you safe and, safe is where I'll keep you." the two Hobbits roll their eyes. but stay quiet.

"I believe you will enjoy this next one. It is one of my own compositions. Right, ahem." he says before starting a new poem, "Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves and the dreams of trees unfold. When woodland halls are green and cool, and the wind is in the west. Come back to me. Come back to me, And say my land is best." Treebeard finishes and at this point with the swaying of his gait it's put the two Hobbits to sleep. 

[several hours later]

Several hours had passed and the two Hobbits' are deeply sleeping. Treebeard plucks them from his branches and carefully sets them down in the softest parts of the fallen leaves and grass and dirt, "Oh, oh. Sleep little Shirelings. Heed no nightly noise. Sleep 'til morning light." he says softly as he stands up straight, turning from them and walking back into the trees, as he speaks with his deep and soothing rumble.

"I have business in the forest. There are many to call. Many that must come. The shadow lies on Fangorn. The withering of all woods is drawing near. The trees have grown wild and dangerous. Anger festers in their hearts. They will harm you if they can. There are too few of us now. Too few of us left to manage them." Ents rumble in response to his words, as if to agree with him and his worries on the state of things. 

***

Gandalf Thilia and Aragorn survey the night sky. "The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-Dûr his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him: the heir of Númenor still lives." Aragorn looks down and Thilia sets her hand on his shoulder in comfort.

"Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men." Gandalf adds, Thilia chuckles, "Like I'd ever let that happen," she said drawing his attention to her, sweeping the tails of her coat out of her way as she knelt, she took his hand, specifically the one with his emerald and crowned serpent ring, "*Si geou faestir wer daar kagh steward di Gondor, for astahii re trian sia sune kagh sia gra'kul," she said. 

{I will serve the King and Steward of Gondor, for they are both my friend and my heart,}

Aragorn watched as she touched his knuckles to her forehead then softly released his hand. Her magic had filled them both and Gandalf having caught sight of Boromir, talking to Gimli and Legolas, start glowing with her magic same as Aragorn and herself. Standing from her kneeling position, she set her closed fist over her heart and bowed to Aragorn before excusing herself to go and explain what happened to her confused family and lover. 

When she was gone, Gandalf smiled at Aragorn, "Dragon magic is very powerful, and when a dragon gives their oath, they don't break it. Just know that it is very rare for a dragon to bind themselves to someone other than their mate," Aragorn nodded, "I am honored, but I don't know if I'm worthy of that kind of devotion," he said, Gandalf smiled softly, "We will have to see," he said and Aragorn nodded.