The Betrayal

Chapter 3

The morning was strangely peaceful. We left before Nathaniel woke up to avoid his protests. Throughout the ride, the driver and I exchanged no words.

The aftermath of the night's rain had left a chilly atmosphere, but the cold didn't bother me; it was the type of weather I enjoyed.

Gazing out of the window, I could see the city. Towering buildings adorned the city and made it look even more beautiful. As we arrived at our destination, the driver brought the car to a halt.

"Will you be waiting outside?" I inquired, recalling Mr. Benedict's instructions.

Though the driver didn't turn around, I sensed a snicker in his response, "Yes, ma'am. Just fulfill your task, and you shall be rewarded."

I nodded, more to myself, and stepped out into the cold. The brisk wind hit me hard as a reminder that december was almost here and I stumbled a little.

"You can do this," I whispered silently.

The guard at the entrance ushered me inside. Within, the building seemed no different from others in the city. People, impeccably dressed, immersed themselves in their work. Right in-front of the reception desk, there was a waiting area so unlike employees, people there mostly looked directly at me wondering what a scrawny teenager was doing here.

Cautiously, I approached what seemed to be the reception.

"How may I help you?" The cheerful lady behind the desk inquired with a tight smile.

It looked forced.

"I'm here to see the chairman," I responded. Her smile faltered briefly, but she quickly regained composure.

"Do you have an appointment?" she questioned, typing rapidly on her computer.

"Mr. Benedict sent me," I stated.

Abruptly, her typing ceased, and she froze before finally speaking, "Wait here, ma'am. I'll arrange for someone to escort you."

Minutes later, I was swarmed by stern-looking men in black. Now everyone was interested in me, even the employees. It was a sign that this wasn't a regular occurrence. Usually if you have to meet the chairman, not ten to twenty people swarm you.

I was an exception.

"Come with us; we'll escort you," one of them declared with so much authority that he left no room for disagreement. He started walking expecting me to follow and I did.

Once we were inside, the elevator's doors closed, I mentally rehearsed the instructions given to me: enter the CEO's office, shoot him precisely in the head, and RUN.

Running however seemed impossible at this moment.

The elevator ascended, and anxiety swirled within me. The men behind me were well, very attentive. Their gaze was so piercing that I could feel them burning holes in my skull just with their eyes.

They didn't even need a gun to tackle me. One stare and I'd already be on the ground.

I gulped in fear but still kept myself together. It took all my strength but I did it. Upon reaching the designated floor, the leading man guided me toward an imposing grey door.

"Does he know?" a lady beside the door asked. She looked bored.

"Yes, he does," the man answered impassively. Their conversation was cold and detached.

"Why bring her here? Just dispose of her somewhere. You already know he has many important tasks to take care of," she suggested, causing my heart to skip a beat. Dispose of me?