Legend of India credits MS Dhoni for the boom of the T20 and IPL crazes in India

As the schedule for the high-octane T20 World Cup 2024 was unveiled, former cricketer of team India credited ex-India skipper MS Dhoni for the boom in the craze for T20 cricket in the country. Mahendra Singh Dhoni led the side to a historic victory in the 2007 inaugural T20 World Cup. The win marked the start of what was called the 'Dhoni era'.

While speaking, Gavaskar reflected on the role of the T20 World Cup 2007 in shaping the emergence of T20 cricket in India and the IPL. Recalling that he was present during the event in 2007, Gavaskar called it one of the most exciting times and said that he had seen greats like MSD and Irfan Pathan play and win the trophy for India. The ex-Indian cricketer opined that the win helped boost T20 cricket in India as well as the prestigious IPL.

Gavaskar said, "I was present at the 2007 T20 World Cup, and it was one of the most exciting times. I've seen MS Dhoni and Irfan Pathan playing on the field and winning for India. Clearly, from there, the craze for T20 boomed in India. Before that, nobody was very well-versed in this format. That win for India helped IPL take off in India."