Chapter 1 - Kora

Kora

I didn't react to the iced coffee seeping into my satin work blouse. My favorite work blouse.The teenager who had just spilled widened her eyes larger than humanly possible. I didn't need to make her day even worse. She looked like a dog about to be beaten. "No, really, it's alright. Don't sweat."

She stepped back shakily and I forced a calming smile which helped her straighten up. "Will you make her another please?" I asked the barista by the bar — Carmen. She was the only one who made my drink perfectly. I never even got coffee in the mornings unless she was in line.

She nodded and I gave one more glance at the poor girl before I picked up my coffee and left. Despite this being my busiest day — supposed to be filled with interviewing my new assistant...that I don't want.

That's didn't stop God's ridiculous sense of humor when a bus careened past me. Joining the coffee, a wave of yesterday's rain splashed from a puddle in front of me, covering the entire lower half of my body, some even sputtering in my recently dyed hair. I wasn't fond of how old I looked with the blunt bangs. I didn't care much for them, but I'm not focusing on that too much while black mud painted my attire.

Not only that—it didn't end there.

Of course...OF COURSE my phone and coffee fell somewhere in the mud.My sunglasses nearly fell too, I pushed them up as I spun around looking for somewhere nearby with a phone. I could run home and change quickly, but I need to at least call work and let them know, or else Thomas will have my head. He would do it without me, but I know I'll hate whoever he chooses.

I saw someone walk across the sidewalk, I didn't see much of his face in the sun.
"Do you have a phone I could borrow? Please?"

My hands slapped together in a prayer and I trailed the man a few steps behind.

He was holding his phone, walking towards the bus that had just obliterated the little dignity I had left for the day. He scrunched his face and glanced at me up and down. He tried to keep walking but I cautiously placed my hand up. "Please, this is obviously not my best day, I just need to make one call."

He ducked out of my view and then sprinted ahead to get on the bus. I clenched back the urge to flip him off. Even worse, he looked like my ex, which would have caused me to cuss him out, but I had to run to a phone. So I returned to Carmen for a call and a coffee.

One phone call and a clean up later, I added red lipstick to make myself a little more confident on the outside. Didn't help, but I didn't hate it. Thomas was only a little understanding after I promised him I'd interview every single person who stayed for the interview.

I stormed in with my stupid thin heeled shoes that I only wear for fancy work events. They hurt like hell but I made it.
"Gen, is Thomas ready? I told him I'd be here like 5 minutes ago." Gen's cute long blonde hair laid perfectly in front of her and her too-white teeth flashed at me. "You're totally fine, he was actually a few minutes late too."
"Thank goodness." I turned slightly and saw several people sitting around the black coffee table at the other side of the room.

"Is this everyone?"
She nodded, her tiny childlike face cutely squeezing together. I scanned the group of 7-8 people over my shoulder, trying not to look too obvious.
"Do you want resumes now? I have them—"
"No, no that's fine, I'll hear enough." I scanned once more and my entire body froze at the look of the man from an hour ago, who didn't let me borrow his phone. I was right... he did look like my ex.
He didn't just look like him...he is—-

My ex.

"Gen!" I whipped back at her, whispering as aggressively as possible. She nearly jumped out of her chair at my look. I never once raised my voice at her angrily, and this was the closest thing to it.
"Do you have someone named Wilson in the stack?" My hands gripped the counter top, trying to not look off in front of potential employees.
She scrambled the pile. "Stay cool. Stay cool." I relaxed my whisper.She dug through the pile and pulled out a single paper, only half filled out. I grabbed it like my life depended on it. Top of the page read,

Not Another Office Romanceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें