Chapter 9: The Nameless Agent

Start from the beginning

All three Inklings raced out of the apartment lobby and dashed around the corner, skidding to a stop and crashing into each other in front of the Ammo Knights entrance. Sheldon opened the door to let the pile of squid kids in.

    "Well, don't keep them waiting!" he snapped in a hushed voice. It was still quite early in the morning, and not everyone was awake. The Inklings quickly got up and entered the shop, where a Roller and a Charger styled in a way similar to the Hero Shots were leaned against the wall. Autumn studied them in the shop's low light.

    "After Maya brought in the Hero Shots, Agents 1 and 2 asked for a Roller and a Charger in a similar style. Their weapons are here for repairs," Sheldon explained, noticing Autumn studying them. "I'll be right back." The horseshoe crab disappeared into the break room. Autumn glanced over at Jewel and Derek, who looked like they were a cross between anxious and excited.

    "What's up?" she asked.

    "You're about to meet the coolest squids in the city," Jewel said with a grin. Just then, Sheldon returned with a pair of female Inklings, one gray and green and the other black and pink. Both of them stood in the doorway reminiscent of how they had back in Chapter 1 - I mean, uhh, the beginning of the adventure - upon delivering the news of Maya's tragic demise. Both of them wore casual clothing - one in a dark gray and green kimono with a matching parasol and the other in some very comfy looking pink clothes.

    "Kids," said the gray and green Inkling. "It's good to see you again."

    "Callie, Marie!" Jewel exclaimed.

    "It's great to see you again!" added Derek.

    "And under much better circumstances, no less," Marie replied.

    "How are you two?" Callie asked, giving both agents an excited hug. She looked up at noticed Autumn, who was still trying to decide how she felt on the two semi-retired agents. "Oh, who's this?"

    "This is Autumn, the new Agent 4," Jewel said, gesturing to Autumn, who shyly waved.

    "H-hi," Autumn greeted quietly.

    "Oh she's so cuuuute!" Callie squealed, running over and tightly hugging Autumn, lifting her off the ground slightly. Autumn kicked her feet in panic and confusion, trying to find out where the ground went.

    "H-help," she choked out, looking at Jewel, Derek, Marie, and Sheldon.

    "Callie! Put her down!" Marie ordered. "Don't squeeze the life out of her!"

    "Oh, sorry, sorry!" Callie apologized, setting Autumn down on the ground. "It's been a year since we've had new recruits," she explained, gesturing with her hand towards Jewel and Derek. Autumn put a hand on her chest as she got her breath back.

    "It's okay," said the golden yellow Inkling.

    "I'm sure you're very starstruck right now," Marie said, confident in herself as she pulled out her phone, "but hopefully you can contain yourself for the time being as we have important matters to discuss." Autumn gave Marie a blank stare.

    "'Starstruck?'" she echoed confusedly.

    "Um, yeah?" Marie said, slightly taken aback.

    "You do know who we are, right?" Callie asked. Autumn shook her head.

    "No." Everyone's eyes turned into those anime dot-eyed blank expressions from the shock of Autumn not knowing who Callie and Marie were.

    "...What." Marie's parasol clattered to the floor. "You don't know us? For eel?"