Chapter 35: Madeline

Start from the beginning

From the many BTS episodes she had seen, Madeline knew he was one of the best drivers. They never felt unsafe when he was driving.

"Come on, Kookie. I don't stand a chance at winning rock, paper, scissors. You always win." Jimin whined from outside the car.

"I know," Jungkook grinned back at him. "So, do you surrender?"

Madeline watched Jimin glance at the car, where she was watching their interaction behind tinted glass. "No, I do not."

And so, a game of rock, paper, scissors commenced. Madeline watched fondly as they agreed to do a best of three.

"Nobody can win against Jungkook," Taehyung commented, his eyes on her. She turned to him and smiled softly.

"Yeah, I know," She muttered, unaware that she had spilled she knew that piece of information. Taehyung's gaze shifted to amusement. Heat traveled up her neck to her cheeks, internally making her curse that she had let that slip. "I've watched a few of your episodes."

He shifted his body to lean closer to her through the seat gap. The breath in Madeline's throat hitched. He was getting closer and closer to her. The atmosphere in the car became heavier—filled with desire.

"You've been watching us for a few years then?" He queried, planting an innocent expression on his face. However, behind those alluring eyes, was something darker and dangerous. He was drinking her in like a man who had been deprived of water for too long. It scared but also excited her how he looked at her.

"Yes," She answered, breathlessly. What was happening? This was the second time she had been caught trapped by them. Their deepest desires were starting to come to life. "I would watch you guys whenever I felt down. You always managed to bring light into my life."

Her honesty knocked him out of his mood. An emotion, akin to adoration, swirled in his eyes. "Did you feel down often?"

She hesitated, debating whether to tell him how often she struggled while living with her mom.

"Sometimes. But it wasn't anything I couldn't cope with," She tried to downplay it, hoping he would move on. Nobody had to know the true extent of what it was like. It was better left unsaid. Sympathy and concern washed over his face. He knew what she was doing and didn't like it. "Things are different now though. I met you guys."

"You shouldn't dismiss these things, Madeline. It's not heal—"

The backdoor to the car swung open, disrupting their conversation. Madeline turned to him, relieved the conversation was cut short. She was not going to bring this stuff up in a car. Not now.

Jungkook slid into the other back seat, triumphantly. A grumbling Jimin sulkily plopped himself into the passenger seat.

"Is everything okay?" Jungkook asked the two of them, sensing the tense mood.

"Everything's fine," Madeline supplied, silently praying Taehyung would go along with her. He sent her a long, knowing look. She knew he would not say anything—she knew this the moment the look in his eyes changed.

Sighing, he mumbled an agreement and turned his body.

A small crease formed in between Jungkook's brows as he darted his orbs between the two of them. Jungkook knew Taehyung well—he knew something was up.

"So, did Jimin even stand a chance of winning against you?" Madeline quietly asked Jungkook, distracting him from his current thoughts.

It worked. Jungkook swung his gaze to her and smirked, "No. Poor guy."