At this moment, my hunch is that whoever attacked me is the same person who attacked her. It could be wrong but that's all my thoughts can muster. 

I continue. 'It would probably be a good idea if you found somewhere else to live. Do you have family you can stay with?' 

'My husband and I aren't originally from this city. We're from Hartly Glen.' 

I slump my head in sadness. 'My condolences. So no family then?' 

I know the answer. 

'All gone, sheriff,' the young woman replies. 

I can tell she's made peace with it. 

'But I can stay with a friend,' she adds. 'She lives on Regent Road.' 

'I think it best that you do that. And quickly too.' 

'Yes.' 

'If you want, I can get a vigil to assist you, to help gather your things. I'm sure there's one close by I can ask.' 

'Thank you but that won't be necessary. We don't have much.' 

I just nod before saying, 'Well, I must be on my way. Have a good day.' 

'And you, sheriff.' 

I bow and leave for the confrontation I've been dreading. Thank the gods the streets aren't passable for my carriage, for I need the time to settle my nerves, to clear my head. Although, all this walking isn't doing wonders for my leg. It pangs and twinges not just with every step but with even the littlest movement. But I grit my teeth and plod along. 

When I finally reach the southern wall, the small square where soldiers once rested is now empty and no guard stands before the steps. Everyone has been called up. 

The catapult tower reeks of berry weed more so than any other time I've visited. And when I reach the door to Seamil's office, I don't knock but barge in. 

A look of surprise and shock would tell me all I need to know, but a withered, yet warm smile is what Seamil has for me. 

Could it be a façade? And if so, how long has he been putting it on? 

Standing by his desk, Seamil says with heavy eyes, 'Good to see you, my dearest friend.' 

'Good to see you, too,' I reply. 

He moves towards me and I tense up, the doubt that it wasn't him wielding the ax making me so. Yet I embrace him, grabbing his upper arms and squeezing. A gesture I've done a million times but this time with one motive only. 

He doesn't flinch and I'm relieved. He's not hiding a wound. He's not the one who attacked me. 

Seamil copies the gesture before asking, 'Have you checked on Lorma?' 

'I haven't had time,' I reply as we then sit down. 

'She sent me a bird saying she was fine but you know how she is. Did you see the inner city was hit as much as the outer? That's never happened before. The enemy's weapons and their range are getting better. Next it will be the palace–' 

'I'll go check on Lorma again,' I interrupt. 'I was going to anyway.' 

'Thank you. I heard your keep was hit fairly badly.' 

'More than that. It's completely destroyed. It's a ruin.' 

'Shit. Were you inside at the time?' 

'I was.' 

'Are you injured?' 

'Just a few bruises, a few scratches,' I reply. 'That's it. The same goes for the rest of my men but a lot of others weren't so lucky. Any injuries, damage here? I couldn't see anything.'