Chapter 3

Three figures stared at the poster in front of them. ' No prior expertise needed' it read ' Candidates must be of able mind and body, ' underneath this statement in bold was the crude phrase 'cripples are not welcome !' 

The figure to the left sighed "well, I guess I can't apply then" he said with a smirk, his attitude was one of carelessness yet his eyes - deep blue in their nature - seemed to reflect his disappointment . "That's okay, Josh, you're more than just your limp. You work harder than any of us here, I'm sure they'll make an exception once they see how well you do in their trials and of course your overall skill!" The figure to the far right called while the one in the middle scoffed "Stop leading my twin along Estelle, when we both know they probably won't, Old people are stuck in their ways and this place " he jerked his chin towards the poster," Won't forget, and will never change or see that we are all the same, some just do things a little differently than others."

Josh laughed, a quiet whisper of a thing but light and joyful. Thank you brother, you always know how to cheer me up!" he jested with a playful eye roll and shove at his twin. 

"You're such a mean boar Rowan why do you always say such things! " Estelle whispered to Rowan " You could have left it there, no need to go and rub it in" She finished with a glare which was mostly hidden thanks to the too-large hood of her cloak. 

With an exasperated huff Rowan ripped the poster free of the board and turned away, ready to walk back to the loft. " hurry up, the others need us. This is good enough, we need to go to where this poster tells us, sign up and then leave as soon as possible " 

Josh and Estelle nodded. "Wait, we don't have enough to save all our places for the positions, how are we going to get 10 silver coins each"

"We're not" Josh said, sharing a look with Rowan '' That's why we need to sign our names and disappear as quickly and quietly as we got there. With some luck, we can get our hands on some chamomile for the man in charge of the desk and wait till he's drowsy enough to fall asleep or leave for a while."  

Estelle's only reply was to gently take the poster from Rowan's fist, memorise the location '6th street of the Umbra market next to the right of kings tower.' " You two go, I'll meet you there with the chamomile, I can ask Madison if she can sneak me some from her mother's supply.

Once they had agreed to meet 30 minutes before the bell they all set off to their planned locations. 

*****

"pssssstt, Madison!" Estelle whispered from below the window sill, her hands clawed desperately at the edge of the white washed brick ledge to prevent a catastrophic drop to the pavement which was at least 15 metres away . 

The petite, brunette who sat combing her hair sat straighter. She whipped her head back and with her eyes widening she threw open the windows and reched outwards to grasp Estelle and move her close to the opening. "Elle" she mock whisper -shouted glancing back to her bedroom door and outside where Estelle had come from before closing her window and flipping closed the lock

" What are you doing here, is something wrong ? Do you need any help ? Did I leave you out there for long ? I'm so sorry, I didn't realise. Mama has set up a tea party for me this afternoon and a lady has to spend at least two chimes preparing herself to be posed and refined" She finished in an mock imitation of her mother, nasal voiced and all. Madison giggled. 

"Hi Madison, that sounds nice. No,no, I just got he a few minutes ago. Also yes, I do need your help - would it be possible to get chamomile? we'll only need a small amount. " Estelle finished with a grateful smile . 

""Sure, that's fine. Mama always has a box, or a few actually, that she hasn't opened. I'll get you one of those. Be back. " Madison replied, dashing out of her pink coloured door leaving Estelle to sit on her high bed and run her fingers over the smooth purple silk and breathing deeply the scent of lavender and clean linen. She hardly had a bed as it was, this monstrosity of comfort was too much luxury and Estelle found it increasingly hard to wait as she took note of the new and expensive hair products, roses, tulips and multiple accessories that adorned the room. These served to make her more anxious and more than a little out of place. While Estelle had known Madison from a very young age it wasn't until recently she had been to Madison's mansion. She could only imagine the wrath it would bring if Madison's mother found out though, it made her shiver to think of and continued to encourage the cold sweat that broke across her brow and ran down the in rivellets at her back.

""You look parched, would you like some elderflower press or perhaps rose? " Madison questioned smiling politely. "Oh, that's fine, thank you. I better be of. The others are waiting - Thank you for the chamomile, I'll tell you about it next time." Estelle said, taking the unopened ceramic pot filled with chamomile carefully. "You sure she won't notice ?" she questioned before slipping the small parcelled box into the pockets of her trousers. "Of course not ! She's only lucid for half of her waking life " Madison said laughing at the absurdity of it.

*****