✧ 12 ✧ universe vs. matty

Start from the beginning

Matty rolled her eyes playfully but opened the door for Briar to enter the house.

"Briar, this is a surprise, what are you doing here?" Christopher asked as he entered the foyer to check on his daughter.

"Hey, Mr. Hayden. Um-"

"Briar was hoping to stay with us until we go back to campus. Is that cool?" Matty interrupted, smiling at her dad.

"Uh sure, okay."

"Come on, I'll take you upstairs," she said eagerly, leading the way to her room.

Briar gave Christopher a half-hearted smile before following her friend through the familiar halls and into her room.

Matty's room had remained virtually untouched since she left for college. The wallpaper was still a beautiful eggshell with light pink roses with a few photos of Matty and her friends scattering the wall. Briar smiled as her fingers ran over the old photos from past Winter and Spring Breaks. Their friend group used to be much larger- her, Matty, Charlotte, Logan, Finn, Colin, Robert, and even Tristan Dugray after he transferred to Andover. But things were different now.

Briar set her bag down on Matty's desk and jumped onto the bed, bouncing slightly.

"So, how is it with your new Mommy?" Briar chuckled, earning a glare from the brunette. "I take it not well."

"She's...fine," Matty shrugged. "She's- she's pregnant."

"What?" Briar choked on her water. "Pregnant? Since when?"

"Uh I found out after the Harvard game," Matty admitted bashfully.

Briar and Charlotte had suspected something was off with Matty the last couple weeks of school, but they figured it was just stress from the finals.

"And they're engaged," Matty finished. "That I didn't know until I got back."

"Matty, what the hell?" Briar exclaimed. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Matty shrugged. "I don't know. I just- I just didn't." Briar's glare told Matty that she needed to come up with a better excuse, so she attempted to explain. "I was so stressed with finals, I-I didn't want to think about it myself. Let alone, bother you guys with my family drama."

"Tilly, Lottie and I are your best friends. We don't care about family drama. You could have told us."

"Told us what?" a voice asked.

The girls turned their attention to the door where Charlotte stood with a black duffel bag on her shoulder.

"What are you doing here?"

"My dad has a new Misses, and I'm a nuisance," Charlotte said with a shrug, setting her bag down and sitting on Matty's desk chair.

"So, I take it you're staying," Matty said, nodding towards the duffel bag. Charlotte grinned widely at her. "Just like old times."

"So, what should you have told us?" Charlotte repeated.

Matty took a deep breath. "Sherry's pregnant, and she and my dad are engaged."

"Whoa," Charlotte said. "Why didn't you call and tell us?"

"I- I don't- I just suck at processing emotions recently."

"We know," Briar and Charlotte said together.

"But you know you can tell us anything," Charlotte said as she walked over to the bed and wrapped an arm around the brunette.

"Yeah. Who knows more about crazy family drama than us?" Briar joked.

Matty didn't know what to say, so she let her wide smile do the talking and hugged them back tightly.