Chapter 9 - "Then I'm afraid you're out of luck."

Start from the beginning

"I'm not everyone." Evette shrugged.

Caedmon sighed and raised a hand to massage his forehead as he shook his head at her. "Just...remember to be careful." He told her, and she gave him a nod. "So, let's get back to it, Evette. Your movements are sloppy. When was the last time you and Kaladin sparred?"

"Kaladin is cruel when it comes to sparring...you know that...so a long time." Evette replied as she rolled her shoulders out. "And, I'm actually quite tired. I don't think I need any more training." Her uncle didn't say anything...he only lunged for her once more.

Evette had heard Feyre having a moment within a few moments of her and her uncle's fighting...but her uncle was relentless and took her distraction as an advantage, and had her on the ground in seconds. She had flown through the air, and had hit the floor, rolling along it to a stop.

Evette lay on her back groaning softly, when her uncle appeared above her. "You need to get a handle on your Empath powers." He told her as he offered her his hand.

"Easier said than done." Evette took his hand as he pulled her up with ease. "And I think I'm done for the day. For the month."

"Kaladin would be very disappointed." Her uncle mused.

"I'm not training to fight Fey...and even if there is a fight...I'd be using my powers." Evette told him. "I'm a Princess, not a warrior."

"You shouldn't rely solely on your powers." Cassian called over to her, and she turned to find him and Azriel now sparring, and as she looked at them she wondered two things. Why exactly they all had tattoos, and when exactly they had removed their shirts because she certainly hadn't seen them all do so.

Not that she was complaining - the view was pretty spectacular.

"He's surprisingly right." Her uncle told her and he gave her a pointed look. "You know our powers can sometimes fail us." Evette knew that Ragnar and Moriah's powers had once failed them when they were being hunted, and when they were killed by Hybern soldiers. "We don't want that. If you're truly involving yourself in this...I need to know you'll be just fine without them."

Evette looked off to the side slightly. "Still...they're Fae. I can do just fine against the Fae." She gestured to Cassian. "He knows that and can tell you so. So, I'm going to head back."

"Not without my winnowing." Her uncle said.

Evette pushed a sigh out of her nose and instead moved to sit on the ground. "Then I'm staying here until you deign to take me back. Have fun fighting yourself." Evette stretched her legs out in front of her, leaning back on her hands as she did.

•••

It was only two days later when Osiris had found Evette - she had been invited out to Rita's once more. Her uncle had been challenged by Cassian to some sort of drink off - the one she had avoided last time. And Mor was off dancing with whoever, as Rhys was doing whatever it was he was doing. Feyre and Azriel were off to the side sat at a table - they had invited her to join them.

But she had denied them - and took to entertaining any who would come to join her and flirt. She kind of missed Lucien and their little back and forth thing they had - it's why she was doing so. She had a feeling Feyre knew this.

However, the second she saw Osiris from across the room - and she knew it was her...she just felt that it was her - she left and slipped out of Rita's unseen.

And Evette followed her to the edge of the river, where they both stopped and looked at one another. Osiris had took to having a corporeal form in order to conceal what exactly she was. She knew that in this form she often appeared differently to many people - unless she wished to show you her real form of mist and mainly air.