Background

The shepherd's house, located in the scenic Westchester countryside, is truly beautiful and peaceful. This charming two-story house has a lovely brown exterior with ivy gently blowing in the breeze. Its kitchen, the heart of the home, has a large window that beautifully showcases each season, from the fresh green of spring to the rich golds of autumn. Although it's close to the city, the house is perfectly away from the hustle and bustle. Inside, the rooms are nicely decorated, combining modern comfort with a rustic touch. However, to young Amelia, this idyllic home feels distant and more like a pretty shell than a real home. Ever since the traumatic experience of witnessing her father's murder at just five years old, Amelia has struggled to find her footing. The shock and sorrow of such a harrowing event at such a young age left deep emotional scars. Throughout her formative years, Amelia exhibited a range of behavioral issues, which her mother, Carolyn, felt overwhelmed by and somewhat guilty about. Carolyn hoped these were just typical childhood phases that Amelia would eventually outgrow. However, the family failed to recognize that Amelia's behavior was a cry for help, a way for her to express the immense sadness and anger bottled up inside her.

Carolyn, a mother who deeply loved her children but was perhaps misguided in her approach, never considered therapy as an option. She believed in her intuition as a mother, confident that she understood her children better than any therapist could. This belief, though well-intentioned, meant that Amelia's cries for help went largely unaddressed, leaving her to navigate her tumultuous emotions without the professional support she desperately needed.

As Amelia grew into her teenage years, reaching 13, her grief and anger became more intense and consuming. She started associating with a group of friends who weren't the best influence for her emotional and personal development. Her mother, Carolyn, disliked these friends, especially Ruby, a known drug user. Carolyn tried to express her concerns to Amelia, but her indirect approach often left her true message misunderstood. Amelia found herself increasingly drawn to Ruby, intrigued by the temporary happiness Ruby seemed to gain from drugs. Despite Amelia's own aspirations to attend medical school, have a family, and find a partner who would remind her of her father, the allure of escaping her pain was powerful. However, Amelia was hesitant; she didn't want to ruin her future. But one day, overwhelmed by her emotions, Amelia sought comfort from Ruby. In a moment of vulnerability, Ruby offered her drugs with a promise of relief, saying, "Here, this will help you." This encounter marked the beginning of Amelia's struggle with substance abuse, a habit she found herself unable to break free from, further complicating her journey through grief and the pursuit of her dreams.

As Amelia's struggles deepened, the rest of her family watched with a mix of concern, helplessness, and varied reactions. Derek, the eldest sibling, eventually left for college, somewhat relieved to distance himself from the turmoil at home. He viewed Amelia's issues as her own to resolve, focusing more on his own life and future. Liz felt the same way never really involving herself in the drama of Amelia Shepherd.

Nancy, on the other hand, was more empathetic towards Amelia. She hoped that her sister's behavior was just a rebellious teenage phase. Nancy often turned to prayer, hoping for divine intervention to help Amelia overcome her addiction. She understood, however, that ultimately, Amelia needed to choose to fight her own battles.

Kathleen, another sibling, was the observant one in the family. She was acutely aware of Amelia's struggles, often noticing signs of her drug use that even their mother missed. Kathleen's attentiveness led her to inform their mother whenever she suspected Amelia was high, actions that Amelia resented, seeing them as betrayals rather than acts of concern. Kathleen, however, believed she was protecting her younger sister and helping her towards recovery. 

Despite having a family who cared for her in their own ways, Amelia found solace only in the euphoric escape provided by the little orange oxycodone pills. Her addiction created a barrier, making it difficult for her to truly connect with the support her family offered. Amelia's journey became a balancing act between the love and concern of her family and the deceptive comfort of her addiction.

Amelia, who is now 15 with a complex mix of resilience and vulnerability,  a worldview heavily influenced by her early trauma and ongoing struggles with addiction. Her coping strategies and outlook on life reflect a battle between her inner turmoil and her lingering hopes for a better future. 

This story takes place from Amelia's point of view