twenty

IT wasn't a big deal.

That's what I was telling myself.

Signing the S.H.I.E.L.D. contract, the enemy contract that bound me to them, wasn't a big deal. It was a means to an end. A way for me to get out of HYDRA, at least for now.

I had no doubt they would try and get me back. They weren't just going to let me go, I was entwined with them forever.

But I signed.

I don't really know why, but a deep part of me was saying it was the right thing to do. I had a choice, and I chose to start a new path.

I didn't know if this was my way of finishing the mission, of killing Natalia and Yelena. I knew I could do it.

Natalia really believed that I was changing.

God, she was so hopeful.

Hope was a human's worst nightmare. It was a disease that infected every part of a person's mind, body and soul.

But maybe I was a little hopeful too, within reason, of course. I don't think I had ever really hoped before. I don't know how to hope, but I guess I just wish that I could be free from everyone. That I could be my own person. Maybe this was the way to do it.

Or it was a way to finish my mission.

I hadn't decided yet.

The 'room' I had been given was just a glorified cell. I was still locked in, with security cameras and microphones in all corners besides the bathroom. Natalia had brought me here after I signed and had taken the contract from me. I wouldn't ever admit it, but it was... comfortable. Too comfortable.

I wasn't used to cushy beds and carpeted flooring. Large bathrooms and fluffy towels. Large walk in closets, even if they weren't filled with clothes.

Everything was too... plush. It was uncomfortable.

A small click came from the door and I turned, readying my body for a fight. The door opened and Natalia stood there, a small smile on her face.

"Hey, the team and Fury are ready now so we can all go over the contract that was signed and lay out all the rules, etc."

I didn't say anything, nor did I give any inclination that I had heard what she said, but when she moved I followed.

It would have been so easy to take her down.

She walked five paces in front of me. All I had to do was trip her and I could get her into a choke hold, snapping her neck. It would have been so easy.

But I didn't.

Before I knew it we were outside of the briefing room and everyone was staring at me as I followed Natalia into the room.

She gestured towards the empty chair at the end of the table.

It was directly across from the witch, Wanda Maximoff.

Oh this was going to be fun.

I took a seat, my face still emotionless as Natalia took a seat next to me. My eyes moved towards Wanda's, locking eye contact with her. She was always so easy to break. She couldn't hold her own, not against me.

Her breath hitched slightly and her eyes flickered downwards, not keeping her eye contact with me, just like she always used to look away when I trained her. It was a flaw, something that I needed to beat out of her.

No.

You aren't that anymore.

Nick Fury stole my attention away from the witch as he cleared his throat, drawing my attention towards him.