The House of Black

In London, tucked away in a somber yet magical alley laid an estate. At first glance it was typical for the time, poorly lit and unwelcoming but upon further inspection one might notice a peculiar error in the building, but to think it was just that an error would be a mistake in itself. For if you were to look at faded numbers 11 and 13, you would notice the lack of 12.

12 Grimmauld Place was a place just as dreary and deceitful as its name. To call the oddly spacious building dark was to call the sun warm. Words simply could not describe the monotone palette so clearly used on the house. It was always just that, a house never a home. It was hidden from view from the muggles who the inhabitants hated so furiously. Its walls contained generations of despicable pure bloods with souls as Black as their name. This was the Noble House of Black.

The Family was made up of some of the worst kind of Wizards and Witches imaginable. Or at least that what a young Sirius Orion Black believed. Sirius Black heir to the House of Black lived in Grimmauld place with his Mother, Walburga, Father, Orion and his little brother Regulus Arcturus Black. He hated many things, Darkness, Snakes, Broccoli and Fear. There were many things to fear in his house, things he had been shielding Regulus from for far to long.

Aged 10 Sirius always felt responsible for his little brother despite their being hardly over a year between the two. It hadn't always been bad though. For a while Orion had been the type of father who would help his sons get ready, held them as babies, or take them to watch Quidditch Finals, for a while he had tried and for Sirius that had to count for something. Sirius couldn't think of the last time Walburga had shown him any type of compassion and even scarier mercy.

He now sat in his room which was void of any personality apart from the austere atmosphere which thrived there. The pristine white sheets he sat upon seemed to be swallowing whole. his mind was filled of the events of the night prior. Regulus and himself had been playing an invigorating game of dragon chase and as the boys sprinted through the house (much to Kreachers dismay) they left a trail of mess and chaos in their wake. They'd found themselves outside Walburga's library and in a horrid yet painfully predictable twist of fate, as Sirius leaned forward to 'catch' Regulus, he fell to far forward and took both himself and Regulus down. To the boys horror they barreled uncontrollably into a displayed vase.

Time seemed to go in slow motion as they each made a grab for the delicate vase, which rather tastelessly depicted a muggle family burning in the place of ancient witches. Before they'd even had a moment to collect themselves the towering figure of Walburga Irma Black practically pounced on them. "SIRIUS AND REGULUS BLACK! WHAT IN SALAZARS NAME HAVE YOU DONE!" she hissed as she stepped closer to her sons.

Sirius prepared himself to once again step in and save Reggie but Walburga did something that would forever be remembered by the brothers of Black. She fell silent for a moment as if in thought,(something she often did to unnerve her son) then turned to Sirius with a hellish smile "Go to your room Sirius." she said hardly sparing him another glance before she turned to her youngest son. " We Regulus are to have a little chat, aren't we?" she feigned innocence and poor, gullible Regulus seemed to perk up at his mothers fake interest. Sirius stood frozen looking at her face, surely he wasn't going to go without punishment but as the cogs in his head turned he realized what was about to happen was so so much worse. Noticing Sirius hadn't yet left, she shot him a sharp glance. "I said, LEAVE." she picked up her wand and used a charm to push Sirius out the room promptly ignoring his howls of protest.

"NO.NO.NO!!! MUM! REGULUS!" he screeched as he pounded against the now magically locked door. He knew what was coming next, something he had prayed his little Reggie wouldn't have to endure. He had never let Regulus know what was happening and now his little brother was locked unsuspectingly waiting in a room with Walburga. "REGGIE!!!" he called but it was to no avail.

"um.. Mother?" He shuffled his feet absently.

"Yes Regulus?"

"Are you not upset we broke your vase? I'm sorry mummy, it was an accident." he spoke in earnest

"Upset dear?..... I'm not upset" she paused and Regulus mistook her words for truth and visibly relaxed. " I'm...FURIOUS". She raised her wand and Reggie's eyes went wide.

That had been six hours ago, four of those Sirius had sat outside that door trying to get in. Since then he had gone to his room. He could no longer bear to hear his brothers screams. What he hadn't known was the current silence was even scarier.