Chapter 7

She'd awoken in the comforts of the colonel's tent in their camp about three miles east of where she fainted. Disorientated at first, the sight of Brandon sitting trussed in a chair nearby quickly brought her to her senses. Tara cautiously sought out signs of any soldiers before crawling as quietly as she could to his side and seeing what she could do about the ropes binding him.

"Leave it," he whispered. "It isn't worth angering them. The colonel seems like an amiable fellow. I'm hoping to talk him into releasing us."

She stopped pulling at the ropes, totally confused. Here they were alone and, in a position, to escape and he talked about chatting his way to freedom. Had he lost his mind? They knew nothing of these people. The colonel spared her a horrendous ordeal, but does that mean that he'd allow them their freedom? Brandon was clearly a Southerner, after all. She didn't want to take that chance. Shaking her head, she continued pulling on the ropes. Fortunately, whoever trussed

Brandon up made sloppy knots and he was easily freed.

"Stop the nonsense, Brandon. There's no time," Tara snapped as she crawled to the entry of the tent and peeked out of the flap.

She had no idea how much time lapsed, but from the position of the sun she guessed it was a few hours. Precious time is lost. After their encounter with the soldiers, Tara shuddered to think what might be happening to Dennis. Who could be holding him captive right now? What could they be doing to him?

Brandon crept up behind her and peered over her shoulder.

"Are you sure this is wise?" he whispered. His words tickled her ear, sending chills down her spine. "If we're re-captured the colonel might not be so gallant again."

She shuddered. Perhaps he was right. Maybe they were taking too great a risk by escaping. Although from what she could tell, there wasn't a soldier in sight. Escape seemed easy. Would talking their way into freedom be just as easy? She wasn't willing to take the chance.

"I'll risk it," she mumbled, more to herself than to him.

She hoped she sounded more confident than she felt.

Brandon took a breath of resignation.

"Follow me," he muttered before darting out of the tent toward the nearest tree with lightning speed.

After only a moment of surprised hesitation she was hot on his heels. They darted, ducked, and hid until they were secure in the thickness of the nearby woods.

"You run like a girl," he chided once they were out of danger.

"Really, what do you suppose I do about that?" she bantered back.

Tara wrestled with guilt over their light-hearted teasing. Dennis was imprisoned somewhere by the odious shadow people. She shouldn't be laughing and teasing with this man. She should be serious, solemn, and focused on his rescue, but she couldn't help herself. Her feelings for Brandon were slowly changing from frustrated mistrust to a comfortable and undeniable attraction. Being with him made her happy; even if he hadn't won her complete trust and she couldn't shake the feeling he was hiding something. It still felt good to be free of the heaviness of captivity and even better to be teasing each other in such a light-hearted way.

They discovered a path leading through the woods. Although Brandon urged they go in a different direction, Tara was determined to follow it. It wasn't long before they reached a clearing that was oddly familiar. She struggled over why she felt at home here. It wasn't until she saw an enormous black gelding grazing on the far side of the clearing that it struck her.

"This place is identical to the clearing where you and I met!" she exclaimed.

Brandon knit his brows together.