𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗭𝗘𝗥𝗢

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗭𝗘𝗥𝗢  •°. *

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗦𝗘𝗔 𝗦𝗘𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗗
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 𝗦𝗔𝗙𝗘 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗖𝗘
𝗧𝗢 𝗟𝗘𝗧 𝗚𝗢
𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗟𝗜𝗩𝗘 𝗔𝗚𝗔𝗜𝗡
𝗔 𝗥𝗘𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗡 𝗧𝗢 𝗪𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘
𝗜𝗧 𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗕𝗘𝗚𝗔𝗡, 𝗕𝗘𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗘
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗨𝗥𝗚𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗬 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗕𝗨𝗥𝗡
𝗢𝗙 𝗔𝗡𝗬𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗛𝗨𝗠𝗔𝗡.

▐░░░░░░░░░░░░░▌

𝗝𝗔𝗖𝗞𝗜𝗘'𝗦 social worker showed up about three hours after she'd been arrested

𝗝𝗔𝗖𝗞𝗜𝗘'𝗦 social worker showed up about three hours after she'd been arrested. The woman seemed ruffled, like she'd just rolled out of bed–which, considering it was about five in the morning, she probably had. Her makeup was rushed and smudged, and she hadn't bothered tucking her shirt into her pencil skirt. At least she'd been quick; the last social worker wouldn't have gotten to the police station until nine, probably.

Jackie's new social worker told her to call her Rita, but Jackie hardly ever referred to her, so it didn't really matter.

Rita disappeared into a side room to try to work something out. Jackie wasn't really hopeful this time. The head of her girls' home had been trying to boot her out for years. Now that crime was confirmed (damn those hidden security cameras) it would be easy. Jackie was going to be sent to juvie.

Only about half-an-hour passed before Rita re-emerged from the closet-sized room she'd been in. Her face was stony and determined.

"Alright, Jackie," she said, strictly. "I've worked out a couple options for you. You can go to the inner city juvenile detention center, or you can apply for a full-ride to Westover Hall, the military school. I know the dean—"

"Those are my only two options?" Jackie asked incredulously.

Rita sighed. "Yes, Jackie. The police have agreed—"

"Under duress," one of the cops at Rita's elbow muttered. She silenced him with a glare.

"They've agreed to contact the judge. This doesn't even have to go to court."

"How long are my sentences?"

Jackie was testing Rita's patience, she could tell. "If you were to go to the detention center—"

"AKA prison."

Rita exhaled hard through her nose. "You would likely have a sentence longer than two years. The judge would decide that."

And two years was just too long for Jackie. In two years, she'd be fifteen, just one year away from being able to become legally emancipated.

"Alright," she said heavily. "I'll choose prison number two, please."