Chapter 10

Esther

Angry muffled voices dragged me unceremoniously from darkness.

"She's volatile, you idiot. Her emotions are so uncontrolled that it made me nauseous to be in the same room as her."

"I know."

"You know?"

"Yes, Silas, I am well aware."

Silence reigned for a few long moments, before a loud very exaggerated scoff sounded.

"You don't care."

A soft response that I couldn't quite make out.

"She poses a risk to everything, everyone! Or are you so eager to forget?"

"I, of all people do not need to be reminded of the past Silas," the words were spit with venom. "And that, is why I am willing to take this risk."

A harsh laugh, "fine, your majesty. But if you're willing to dig your own hole deep, don't expect us to haul your ass out of it."

Angry footsteps thundered away.

I held my breath, keeping my eyes firmly shut as a door creaked open and soft footsteps approached, then stopped right next to me.

"I can hear your heart pounding, Esther."

My eyes slowly opened, meeting the eyes of the man from my dreams. I was hoping that it had all been a nightmare but should've known that there was no such luck to be found for me.

Silver eyes rimmed with exhaustion blinked lazily at me, "hi."

Hi?

I pushed myself into a sitting position and quickly scooted away from the male.

I stared at him, he stared at me.

And for some stupid reason, my cheeks warmed. I took a shallow breath and looked around to avoid those penetrating silver orbs. My heart promptly thudding to my stomach at the familiar bedroom.

A terribly embarrassing noise escaped my throat.

I scrambled to my knees, fighting a mound of white and gold pillows as I frantically made my way to the other side of the massive bed, nearly falling on my face in the process.

I landed on the floor in a crouch, my wide eyes staring across the bed at Ekon in panic.

Meanwhile, he looked like he was trying very hard not to laugh. I fought the urge riding me hard to chuck a pillow at his face.

"How? Or is this something you 'can not tell me' as well?" I childishly mimicked his accent.

He shrugged, his sharp jaw clenching. Ekon elegantly strode to the window overlooking the courtyard, arms crossing thoughtfully over his chest as he stared at the scenery. "It seems our dreams are intertwined."

I straightened, slowly backing to the door to my left.

"Well that much is obvious," I whisper. "The question I'm asking is if they are memories."

Ekon just hummed thoughtfully, seeming to be lost to his own train of thought.

I twisted the doorknob.

Locked.

Of course it was locked.

Ekon gave me a bored look, over his shoulder, then arched a brow as though to say, 'really?'. I glared at him, giving the doorknob one last yank before I sighed in defeat.