"I feel a little better, the sleep is helping. I think having the air and light helps alot. I messaged Derek I want to start building the case properly so I can move on from that chapter of my life. I'm trying not to let the dark clouds linger over my head"Light tears built in Meredith's eyes as she spoke. 

"That sounds wonderful darling. I will be with you every step of the way. Holding your hand and encouraging you. You've got this" Ellis had always been her biggest supporter. They sat and ate breakfast together before Ellis left to work.

With a gentle sigh Meredith pulled her phone out and dialled his number, in the moments she'd felt okay he was all she could think about, him and his daughter.

Derek was at home, in his dark jeans and white shirt after a messy morning of making pancakes with Sofia. Sofia's dark hair had been styled into a ponytail, she giggled as she ran around the garden in her summer dress and sandals. She chased Hope around with her pink rope toy before throwing it every now and then. 

Mark had joined him as he often did on the weekends, he had watched Sofia whilst Derek showered himself. Derek was the best father, the best parent, he hated that he had to work some evenings but it was all so he could look after Sofia, make sure she had everything she would ever need. But having a close family unit made everything so natural especially on those later evenings.

He had just finished clearing up when his phone rang, Meredith's name flashed across his screen for the first time in four days. He had messaged her a little the day before when she said she wanted to start helping him build the case with Mark, when she had sent a few images of injuries and many screenshots. 

"Hey, everything okay"He answered as he peered out into his garden. Smiling as Sofia pulled Mark around now. 

"Hey, I..I was wandering what you were doing today"She gulped toward the end. 

"I was going to head to the park with Sofia and Hope to see the family as they were otherwise occupied yesterday. But if you wanted to come I am sure my little girl would be over the moon she misses you like crazy" Derek gribbed his phone tightly. The truth was he missed her. He missed their chats, her laugh, how she would comfort Sofia when she was upset, how she always made sure he ate no matter how tired he was when he got home from work. The four weeks he had spent getting to know her before the incident had left a permanent mark in his life. 

"Would that be okay please?  I don't want to intrude I know I am coming to the office tomorrow but I just don't want to be alone"She admitted.

"No worries sweetheart. Are you good to drive here then you can come in my car when we go out. You'll have to fight with Mark over who gets the front seat"He chuckled to himself.

"Thank you, I won't be long. Thank you"The call cut, he rested both elbows on the counter as his hands ran over his face. She sounded better yet still so fragile.

"You okay"Mark asked as he walked in for a drink.

"Meredith is coming with us today"Mark smiled before nodding.

"You've missed her man, I could see it all over your face. She's good for you"Mark patted his back.  

When the door knocked Derek was ready, the moment he opened it he felt as though the air had been knocked from his lungs. She looked stunning, she always had but it was something about the genuine smile and her warm eyes. 

"You look beautiful Meredith"He complimented, an obvious blush flushed her cheeks as she blinked rapidly and smiled looking down to the floor.

"Thank you, I covered the bruises the best I could"Derek rolled his eyes.