5 Times Lloyd Saved the Others: Cole

Another week, another patrol.

Cole leaned against the railing of the Bounty, enjoying the breeze brushing past his face and gently ruffling his long hair. The setting sun cast a brilliant mix of orange and red across the sky like a sea of fiery clouds. The Bounty drifted lazily over the desert near some canyons, the shadows in the ravines darkening in the sunset.

This week, the Master of Earth watched over Ninjago with Lloyd and Zane. Originally, Kai had insisted he come with, but Lloyd told him that he needed a break from the previous week's traveling, and Lloyd seemed to want Zane on board anyway. Cole supposed that had something to do with the two metal cuffs around Lloyd's wrists.

The elemental frowned with thought. Ever since Lloyd returned from finding Zane a few days ago, he'd worn the cuffs nonstop, though often picked at them or twisted them uncomfortably. Cole hadn't said anything, but he'd heard Lloyd make a quiet pained noise one night when he walked past the younger's room. That hadn't happened before the cuffs. He'd asked Zane about it, and the nindroid told him it was something Lloyd was going through and he'd have to hear it from the Green Ninja himself so Zane didn't overstep his trust.

Sure, that was fine. Cole respected Lloyd's privacy.

So long as he wasn't suffering alone.

Cole would make sure of that.

He sighed as he left the railing, gaze lingering on the striking sunset before he trudged belowdecks. It wasn't hard to find Lloyd from the faint gasps coming from his leader's bedroom.

Concern washed over the older Ninja and his pace quickened, bringing him to Lloyd's door. His presence went unnoticed for a minute, giving him time to take in the Green Ninja's state.

He crouched on the floor, holding his ungloved wrists to his chest, shuddering visible even from a few feet away. His usually neat hair was disheveled and tangled around his face, which was hidden in shadows. The fact that he hadn't heard Cole's footsteps hinted at his distress.

Cole slowly moved in, crouching next to Lloyd and gently grabbing his wrists, tugging them away from the Ninja's body. He supported them with his palms turned towards the ceiling, eyes widening at the angry red marks spreading from the metal, especially around the glowing green gem on top.

"Lloyd?" Cole questioned softly. The Green Ninja's gaze remained downcast and unfocused, staring into nothing but filled with pain and torment. "What's going on, bud?" His fingers gingerly traced over the red marks, but as soon as they touched the metal, a green spark shocked his hand.

He recoiled in surprise, his sharp gaze locking onto how Lloyd's eyes widened slightly with alarm. "No, it's okay," Cole said quickly, grasping his brother's wrists again. "I'm fine. Are you?"

Lloyd let out a sound between a cough and a choked sob, bending forward so Cole couldn't see his face.

The older Ninja immediately pulled the younger into a tight hug, wrapping his arms around Lloyd's shoulders and shifting closer so they were seated right in front of the other, albeit a little to the side so they could both fit comfortably in the small room.

"Hey, it's okay," Cole soothed as he felt Lloyd bury his face into the Earth Master's shoulder, shaking.

After a moment, Lloyd let out a shaky breath. "Sorry," he mumbled, his voice muffled by Cole's gi.

A surge of protectiveness overcame the older Ninja. Lloyd looked so...young, the way he bent towards the earth elemental and shivered slightly even in his warm grasp. With one simple word his leader, the oh-so-powerful Green Ninja with the weight of the world thrust upon him, looked like the kid he really was. Cole hated how Lloyd had to deal with so much at such a young age.