55 Nails piercing scales, second being inside

TW//
Heavy trigger warnings for this chapter! (To be honest, if you're here at this point I don't even need to say it) Won't mention them again to avoid spoiling so proceeding is at your own risk!

When Sigewinne got back to the room she saw Wriothesley and Neuvillette sitting silently both in a daze. They were filled with complicated emotions that made realization surface in Sigewinne's mind.

"Is it time?" Sigewinne asked implying Neuvillette's departure. She walked over and sat in between the pair taking both their hands into her own.

Neuvillette turned to look at Sigewinne and sighed, "I feel it's creeping closer." Some day the day will come when he can no longer have a peaceful breakfast with Sigewinne and Wriothesley, chatting idly and enjoying the time spent together. If he was being honest, the time in the Fortress had been the least stressful time of his whole life. He was always bound by duty as the Iudex on the surface and had to uphold an image but here... Things were different. Even if the other inmates were a bit scared of him when he first arrived they quickly realized he was no different from them.

The inmates were used to the sight of the three together so they would surely inquire and accidentally open wounds when it was only two left again. It was always Wriothesley, Sigewinne, and Neuvillette.

Wriothesley petted Sigewinned head and smiled sadly, "Let's just get some sleep." Sigewinne looked up at him and nodded. The three of them fit themselves closely snuggled up together on the one poor bed, sharing warmth for what would turn out to be the one last time. 

The guards banged the door before bursting into the room and disturbing their peaceful sleep. The trio startled awake and looked at the guards. Panic began to fill their veins all the way down to their cores.

"Time to go!" The guard leading them shouted and quickly came closer to take a hold of Neuvillette's arm. Neuvillette did not protest, he had long since accepted his fate. Even if he had done so, Wriothesley was stubborn, in denial, clinging onto small flickering hope, and took a hold of the guard's arm instead.

"Let him go!" He knew this was futile and Neuvillette gave him a stern look so as to not make things worse. 

The guard scoffed, "Mr. Wriothesley, I'd suggest you let go." The authority he held and the pressuring aura he emitted made Wriothesley suddenly feel a rush of adrenaline. Neuvillette gave him a look again and he took his hand away, shuffling away despite the growing feeling in his chest.

He knew Neuvillette would be able to handle himself, but he also knew Neuvillette wouldn't handle himself. It tore at his heart. 'Do you understand how I feel?' he had said. He had asked Wriothesley to not do anything when the time came. He had asked him to let him go. 

He understood him, he would be more than happy to do whatever he could for him, even if it meant letting go. But could Neuvillette understand how he felt as well? He knew... He knew Wriothesley would cling on, never forgetting him, stubbornly refusing to move on and cling to the past that was no longer reachable. Wriothesley would not be able to savor life how Neuvillette wanted him to, not when his heart was already in the dragon's hands, his to trample or cherish.

The guard roughly yanked Neuvillette forward which made his arm ache at the joints. His hair was disheveled from sleep and his eyes half closed staring into nothingness. Could he be selfish for once? Could he be so selfish as to kill these people and let himself have the life he wants? These thoughts have crossed his mind even if they were unpleasant. But no, he would not. He had already been selfish once and now those actions have come back as an obstacle.

Handcuffs were fastened too tight around his wrists as he was forcibly dragged away somewhere. The guards occasionally kicked him when he was walking too slowly and treated him like a pile of insignificant trash. Neuvillette took it all, his eyes unfocused as he was unsure of the change in his surroundings and where he was led.