Tears shed for another, unfortunate soul

//Heavy trigger warnings for this chapter!!

Proceed at your own risk. Do not take trigger warnings lightly.

The gloomy skies ever so slowly cleared up as the question "Shall we?" was asked. The true intention of those words was instantly clear to both men and the dragon smiled. He set down his cup filled with water and reached out his hand on top of the others. Upon this contact, their own inner bubble was formed as if separating them from the huge crowd, hidden from all faces around. The only thing missing was the soft glow of the moon cascading upon their forms, revealing the flowing tail and scales moving with the scarred mortal.

Wriothesley helped Neuvillette stand up by pulling his hand gently and holding his hand up to his face, gaze tilted up towards the pair of purple eyes. Both of them chuckled slightly at the playfulness of it all. Wriothesley placed a teasing peck on the gloved hand and let their arms fall low again. They glanced at the dancing crowd and nodded with some kind of acknowledgement. Without any unnecessary words, they knew their mission, they knew they had to reach the end of this, together.

"Well, was that all just for show?" Neuvillette asked Wriothesley and continued, "Put your hand on my waist and sway me." It sounded like an unexpected challenge and Wriothesley would be lying if he said his heart didn't leap to his throat, a burst of excitement.

"Oh, is the Chief Justice asking me this personally?" Wriothesley teased but stalled no further. He placed his hand gently on the judge's waist while the judge set his hand on Wriothesley's shoulder. Their other hands were intertwined, facing the side like a leading arrow.

Both of them knew they couldn't discuss the case openly or their plan to spot the person among the crowd so they could only talk something normal people would while dancing which... They hadn't really danced like this with anyone before. Their gazes flicked through the crowd occasionally and other times would stare at the opposite person with a glimmer of a smile playing around their lips.

The pair swayed their way around the crowd getting lost in the middle in a smooth motion. The Iudex himself on the dance floor definitely got some glances but the man himself, for once, only felt one pair of eyes worth paying attention to. They made him want to forget the mission. They made him want to waver in his position as the Chief Justice and not care for anything. He did not like the feeling nor did he dislike it. The alarm bells in his head rang but still, something silenced them. Nothing has ever confused him as much as this.

No words were exchanged. Their breaths swirled together as their movement made them gasp more desperately for air. Somehow their fast steps felt agonizingly slow and something pushed them together like a magnet, moving their feet ever so close to each other while never taking a misstep. 

While the magnet stayed, the hands and prying eyes around them gripped their heads and ripped them away. Or that's how it felt like. So close yet so far. If only they could reach that point, the point with no worries, troubles, or sorrow. But even if their back were ripped bloody and bruised the effect of the magnet would never fade, pulling them closer even in death, burying them side by side, joining their hands together, making their souls one. Why would they need to consider the 'consequences'? What forbids them from pursuing peace and happiness? What forbids them from each other? Was it mortality and immortality, status and ways of living, or simply because of past sins?

They made it out of the middle of the crowd and moved towards the other edge, opposite the place they started from. They both sat down on some chairs and catcher their breaths. Wriothesley was the first to speak, "So... Did you see anyone?" They had both, in fact, not seen anyone. To be brutally honest, they had gotten a lot carried away but neither wanted to acknowledge that.