Sudden Changes

The next day, I settled into the producer's room, surrounded by screens and equipment. The melody played softly as I tapped my foot in rhythm, feeling the beats pulsate through the room. My fingers hovered over the controls, adjusting the sound levels and fine-tuning each beat.

Just then, Aya peeked her head through the door, her eyes bright with curiosity. "Kyo, what are you up to?"

I glanced up, offering a smile. "Hey, Aya. Just making sure every beat is in place for the new track. Want to listen?"

"Definitely!" Aya beamed, stepping inside as the melody continued to fill the room. Her head bobbed to the rhythm, her enthusiasm infectious. "What's this? I never heard this before."

As the melody echoed through the corridors, Chisato and Maya appeared in the doorway, drawn in by the captivating sounds. Chisato's expression held a touch of intrigue, and Maya, with her eyes closed, swayed gently to the beat.

"Sounds intriguing, Kyo," Chisato remarked, her voice carrying a hint of curiosity.

Maya, still immersed in the music, chimed in, "It's catchy!"

I chuckled, "Glad you like it. Still fine-tuning some parts, but it's coming along."

...But then, my attention was abruptly diverted when I noticed the two of them standing there. "Where did you two come from!?

"The door?" Maya replied, blinking innocently.

"I'm not an idiot."

Chisato chuckled, "Ahahaha, well, we were talking about what to do after the song was made, and then suddenly, we were here."

The music reverberated through the room, a testament to the long hours spent perfecting it.

Maya's nod of approval lifted my spirits. "Looks like the song is going to be alright after all!" she remarked, her enthusiasm palpable.

"Yeah! Leave it to me!" I replied confidently, hoping to reassure them.

Their blank stares caught me off guard, and I chuckled, realizing my over-the-top response. "Well, uh, I'll get back to work then."

And then they left, and the room felt quiet again, giving me a moment to stretch and relax. "Finally done."

The tune felt perfect, with every note and beat meticulously crafted to align perfectly. But just as I basked in the satisfaction of completion, my phone's shrill ring cut through the room. Hastily grabbing it, I answered the call from PasuPare's manager.

"Yes?" I responded, trying to sound composed despite the surprise.

"Oh? Nakasone-kun! Are you done with the song?" The manager's voice rang through the speaker.

"Yes, Ma'am!"

"Fantastic! Actually... There's been a change of plans. Why don't you visit me in my office along with the song?"

"Yes ma'am!"

My heartbeat quickened with curiosity and a tinge of anxiety. The change in plans intrigued me, and I wondered what could have shifted so suddenly.

I approached the manager's office, my heart pounding a little faster with anticipation. Knocking gently, I announced my entrance.

"I'm coming in!"

The sight inside the room surprised me—a serious-looking manager seated across from Pastel*Palettes. "Sit down, Kyo."

Taking the offered seat, I tried to read the room. Aya, Chisato, Maya, Hina, and Eve looked a bit puzzled but maintained their polite demeanor. The manager, on the other hand, seemed more composed but had an air of mystery about her.

What's with the atmosphere...

"Kyo, before I share my thoughts on the song, I want everyone here to know that instead of the usual music video, it will be performed live right now."

The manager's announcement hit me like a curveball, and my eyes widened in surprise. The sudden change in plans seemed to catch even the members of Pastel*Palettes off guard. A collective "EHHH" echoed through the room.

"Live performance?"

"Yes, a live performance," the manager affirmed. "I believe it will give us a more immediate and authentic feel for the song. Plus, it will be a great way to gauge the audience's response."

The atmosphere in the room shifted, and the tension rose. Maya, ever the enthusiastic one, clapped her hands together. "That sounds like a challenge! Let's do it!"

Hina nodded in agreement, her eyes shining. "A live performance does sound exciting!"

Chisato, though surprised, maintained her poise. "We'll give it our best, of course."

And Eve, always eager for new experiences, grinned. "Bushido! I'm ready!"

Aya nodded, "Let's do it."

As the initial shock subsided, I found myself embracing the spontaneity of the situation but I'm ready.

"Let's make it a performance to remember!"

The manager leaned back, observing our reactions. "I knew you'd all be up for it. Now, let's finalize the details and get ready for the live performance."

I was just getting into the rhythm of preparations when my phone buzzed with Chisato's unexpected call. I glanced at the screen, puzzled by the sudden interruption.

"Huh? Since when did I give out my phone number?" I muttered to myself before answering, "Yes? What is it?"

"Uhm, Kyo-kun... We've got a problem."

"What is it?"

"Aya caught a cold."

...

"What."