10. Rogues

The SUV sped up as it neared the light right at the edge of the hillside. Demi let out a yelp as the light became overwhelming for a split second... then nothing....

The SUV's continued down a new path that had appeared out of nowhere. And where they had seen the castle ruins in the distance, a now fully built, armed-to-the-teeth version of the castle stood before them.  

Banners of the Silver Crown Collective Coat of Arms were raised above the towers and beautiful gardens and trees were planted on either side of the road leading to the castle. 

Demi blushed in embarrassment, "Dios mio! That is not something I want to do again." 

Kade chuckled, "We find the best way to hide from humans is with misdirection... and a bit of magic."

Fynn and Rieka smirked at Demi's reaction before the SUV's pulled up to the front door. 

Omega Werewolves and Lycans in traditional maid and butler outfits stood at attention outside and a guard approached the door and opened it for Rieka, Fynn and the entourage. 

Kade escorted them inside to the breathtaking foyer.  Ancient Celtic architecture was tastefully adorned with a mix of modern and ancient decorations and at their feet, A gorgeous mosaic showing Gaia, Mother earth, with her arms outstretched, A fierce goddess surrounded by plants and animals, and the Goddess Artemis sending a lycan to hunt a deer finished the triangular pattern intertwined with a celtic triquetra (triangle/trinity) knot between them. 

"This way your majesties." Kade called. He walked them through giant doors into the throne room.  

The great hall had towering ceilings and every twenty feet, where you would expect a support column or buttress, were enormous yew trees- their twisting trunks stretching up toward the ceiling where the branches reached toward their sister trees on the other side; lacing the ceiling with a gorgeous green canopy.  Holes and hollows within the trunk were used to house lights which gave the trees a magical glow. 

Chirps and caws came from the branches and when the party looked up, they saw birds of prey, ravens and various pigeons flittering, making their homes in the branches. 

At the far end was the stone dais with a massive throne made from the trunk and branches of an ancient tree that had been dipped in white gold; preserving the claw like pattern of the branches.  Behind the throne was a massive stained glass window depicting the Coat of Arms for the Silver Crown collective: A round shield with 4 quadrants: a black bat on a white background on the top left, a gold griffin on a red background on the top right, a white fox on a red background on the bottom left, and an orange deer on a white background on the bottom right. The shield is topped with a ruby encrusted silver crown and the shield bearers are a dragon on the left and a lycan (wolf) on the right. 

Sitting on the throne was Rogue Queen Gwendoline Carter. She was the first woman Rogue Queen since the days of Boudica (an ancient Celtic queen that fended off the Roman incursion of Ireland). She took the throne violently over thirty years before, and while many have tried to overthrow her throughout the years to take her power for themselves, Gwen put down any aggression swiftly and...thoroughly.  

Gwen rose to greet her guests with a brilliant smile and arms open to give Fynn and Rieka a hug, "Fáilte (Welcome) friends, t' the Silver Crown Collective. I trust yer journey was pleasant?"

"It was thank you! Kade has been a most gracious host," Rieka replied, "Thank you for having us in your home. It's unlike anything I've ever seen or even imagined!" 

Gwen laughed knowingly before replying, "Aye. I wish I could take credit for the trees, but they're a gift from the Celtic goddess of nature Danu, Mother Earth Gaia, and blessed by our Lycan goddess Artemis. They were given to the druids of old to create a safe haven for magical beings from invaders.  Their roots tether us to the version of the world you think you see before crossing into the magical reality. E'ry time we speak the passcode, it's a spell askin' the trees to grant us passage. It's why humans go to visit ancient ruins and we're standin' here."

Wings of War (Book 2 of Dark Wing Collective Series)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें