Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

His name may have not been welcomed among some, but her great-grandfather, Aethan Velaryon, had spoken of Daemion once and he had spoken very highly of him. As a fine warrior and a brilliant leader despite his young age at Stepstones.

Rhaella had never seen admiration in her great grandfather's eyes, but that day she had seen it, but yet she had not heard anything of who Daemion truly was, only of his skill with sword and talent in the art of war.

Rhaella wanted more... But I will not be loud like my sister. Rhaella thought to herself. Mother did not say much, perhaps Father will.

_____________

Rhaella found her father in Maegor's holdfast which Queen Visenya had named after her son and Rhaella's great uncle.

Aegon, her father, was not alone, he had a glass of wine in his hands, and a beautiful maid which he held by her waist closely. The maid apparently enjoyed being close to her father, of the way she welcomed Aegon's touch on her body.

Rhaella gracefully walked to her father. "Father?" Rhaella asked softly and gracefully, hoping her mother would not hear or see of her father's doings.

The maid's cheerful and blushed face turned red in embarrassment, and stood away from Aegon. Aegon quickly nodded at her and she blushed once more and walked away carrying the flask of wine she was holding.

Aegon turned and looked at the girl and smiled a half smile. "What is it, Aerea?"

Rhaella very softly bit the inside of her bottom lip. Her father had never spent more time with her or her sister than necessary. He always busied himself with training in the courtyard, drinking with Uncle Viserys or found himself in the presence of a beautiful woman who would charm him, a charm that he was not ignorant to, but was very welcoming.

"I am Rhaella, father." Rhaella corrected her father softly.

"Uh, gods. Of course." Aegon spoke as he rolled his eyes. "I must have known of the way you carry yourself like a true lady of elegance, daughter."

Rhaella softly smiled as her small cheeks turned pink by her father's complement, and she asked what she had come to seek. "Who is Daemion Targaryen, father? Daemion the Black Dragon?"

Rhaella watched as her question made the lousy smile on Aegon's face fade away and turned his ears red in anger, as he began pressing his teeth together. Rhaella could see that the name had angered her father beyond what she had not dared to imagine.

She felt her chest tighten and Aegon's face began to darken even further. She dared not to speak another word.

Suddenly Aegon began walking away as he drank the glass of wine in his hand and threw the glass aside as he was finished drinking the wine inside of it.

He walked away and left Rhaella all by herself with her unanswered question in Maegor's holdfast.

___________________________________

Later that night, Rhaena walked to her shared chamber with Aegon.

Aegon was already present in the chamber, which surprised Rhaena. She had expected her dear husband to warm another woman's bed.

Aegon was sited in front of the window of their chamber, brooding and holding a glass of wine and an empty flask of wine on the table next to him.

Rhaena walked to her desk, opened her jewelry box and took her earrings off and placed them inside the box. As she did, her eyes fell on her most prized and precious possession.

Rhaena could not do anything but to trace her finger softly on the necklace and smile that only reminded her of her longing heart. The emerald necklace shined brighter than ever as if it was polished.