chapter 1

How did she have so many goddamn bows? Percy thought as he watched Annabeth Chase sit down in her usual spot in their Monday first period class. They'd shared the same English class all semester and had yet to see her repeat a bow. Outfit maybe, but bows? Never. Every Monday and Wednesday she came into class right on time with a different bow tied in her hair. Every other part of her outfits had repeated, the style of her hair or the skirt she was wearing but never the bows. He didn't know what the fuck they were made of but no two looked the same.

It had started with just the bows. Watching them sit upon her blond curls in class, moving every time her hand shot up to answer a question first. Then he started to notice her. Annabeth wasn't like anyone he'd ever seen before. He couldn't quite pinpoint what about her was so intoxicating to him. Maybe it was her sharp wits or her stormy gray eyes he caught a glimpse of every now and then. Or that fact that she was completely untouchable.

Percy hadn't thought twice or cared much for her when the rumors started spreading last spring. After all they'd been just that, rumors. But some rumors about her very public breakup with her boyfriend of 2 years, some supposedly well known legacy Percy had never heard of, had left her feared all across campus. Apparently after she'd dumped the guy went around spreading rumors about her, saying she was a prude, a lousy lay, and other foul things. He'd even shown some of his friends photos of her naked that he'd taken when she wasn't looking. So Annabeth did what any civil person would do, she stabbed him and had him reported for sexual misconduct. Although Percy assumed the stabbing was a rumor, apparently the guy didn't return this semester. The thought of the prim and pleated Annabeth Chase wild with anger and ready to stab amused him. There wasn't a violent bone in that girl's body, let alone one willing to stab. Everyone had seemed to agree on this, yet she was still avoided by most.

"Yes Ms. Chase?" Their professor said, bringing him back to class.

Annabeth proceeded to answer whatever question he'd asked perfectly, pushing her hair over her shoulder so that she could take notes. For a second Percy could see her face from his seat 2 rows back, a proud grin pulling at the corners of her mouth as she scribbled away. God, she was... she was gorgeous. He reminded himself to look away, not wanting his lingering eyes to give someone the wrong idea. Sure she was gorgeous but that wasn't his concern.

~~~

"You're staring again Percy." Frank sighed quietly.

"Still?" Jason laughed in disbelief, sipping his coffee.

"Hmm?" Percy mumbled, snapping back to reality and away from her..

"You should at least try to ask her out." Frank shrugged, setting down his matcha. "She'll probably say yes."

"You know, the semester ends in like 2 weeks anyways so you'll probably never see her again." Jason added, some reassurance faint in his voice.

"It's just not that simple," Percy groaned, "She's just... not that simple."

"Sounds like someone's got it bad." A sweet voice laughed.

Percy watched as Jason's on again off again kinda girlfriend Piper sat down with them. They had officially broken up a little over a month ago but occasionally got together for recreational activities, usually bedroom related. Frank and him both knew that Jason still had some pretty deep feelings for her but they never spoke about it.

"Looks like someone finally decided to stop by." Jason groaned, pretending not to care.

"Nope, just here for some coffee but it's nice to see that Percy finally likes someone." She laughed.