Chapter Eleven: Honor

Day after day, Cassandra studied while Terrance was around in the shadows and, at times, beside her. He even started to pick up some of the books intrigued by their contacts despite not being born with magic; she teased him relentlessly for it, and he did not mind. Ester, on the other hand, spent her days with Elderan after lessons. Cassandra would see her as trying, but to her detriment, to succeed her trial. which was just around the corner. There were only two days left before Ester's fate was decided, and Cassandra was tempted to make a voodoo doll of her, giving her all her powers so she would pass. She lacked meters and skill, to say the very least.

She made sure to have breakfast with Ester, the simple scraps of food they usually get during feasts. bread, water, and, if they were lucky, cheese. But that has been becoming less and less common these days. If they wanted actual food, they had to wait all the way until the evening.

Ester seemed quite nervous and even agreed to some of Cassandra's snide remarks, which worried the lady mage.

To Cassandra's dismay, she was summoned by Elderan before his private lessons with Eester to discuss something important to Cassandra. Usually she did not feel nervous talking to the older Mage, but during this high-stress time of the trials and lack of sleep from crack of dawn studying, her mind and body's rhythm were all jumbled. mixing analysis and execution into one.

Elderan was organizing his book, barely looking at Cassandra's when addressing her.

"How has your studying been going?"

Apprehensively, no doubt from the eye of a knight."

a statement that wasn't entirely false.

Elderan did not comment on her supposed complaint. And continued Despite your lack of trust in yourself, I cannot see you failing your trial. And others see that too, Cassandra."A searing feeling of dread burned deep within her. Expectation is a word that haunts many mages. "There is a high enchanter, and he will take you as his pupil if you manage to pass your trail." "Who would want a lazy witch like myself?" Cassandra responded slyly, hiding the unease she had been swallowing, "Enchanter Vee." And there, finally, the heavy stone in her chest dropped to her stomach. Of all the people, Vee was not one to be friendly with. And she had no intention of being his pupil. Before she could respond, Elderan continued, "He is second to Grand Enchanter Varona. And when she steps down or passes, he will take her place, as will the figurehead of this spire and the collective of Divinian mages. And you will be his second."Cassandra had nothing to say—no quip, no jab, no wit—that could express her sorrow. She thought, "Is this all that there is then?" a cage where you advance until not needed. A certain lonely death served a god that had never helped her or any of the mage who needed them. Was this all of life? Live long enough to work for Divinity. Life to serve and have no other dreams, no other aspirations, no mobility to love someone, no freedom to fight for something? Just work. Work until you are dead. a servant to a gift no one ever asked for. Enchanter Elderan was waiting for Cassandra to say something, anything. But with no avail, words fell flat. He looked down at his books.

"Cassandra, you will find yourself grateful to be training with such a talented mage. Regardless of your feelings, you will come to see the good."

To her, his words were hollow. As if it were a script prepared for any other mage who had their doubts. She smiled bitterly back at him, making sure to swallow back any sign of melancholy left in her. "I shall study then, won't I?" Elderan softly smiled back, fully aware that Cassandra would never be a mage who would expect her cage. With that knowledge, there was fear. Cassandra would rather die than be left to rot in it. Only hope lingered. I hope that there is some good to come from all of this. Elderan hung on to that with all his students, but Cassandra did not hope and even wept. Her sorrow always became fire. anger against the divine justice of God.