Chapter 6: The Less I Know The Better....

The moment of quietness allowed my sanity to saunter back to when I first encountered Yana...though I hadn't paid any attention to her during her stint at my palace--I distinctly recollect the day we met. the bunker's cold smooth walls shined into a golden hue as the fluorescent lights turned to chandeliers. everything stirred me deeper into the moment as my psyche betrayed me with another episode of the past.

"fuck this stupid party...I don't even know why im here" I grimaced at the noble throngs crowding the glittering Buriti ballroom. The tall walls of the palace were mauve and smooth as ever. Each little corner and nook has some elaborate quality design most likely gleamed from forced labor. The amount of people was dizzying even with such a large room. Nearly everyone was touching as they mixed their vapid intentions with their flying saliva.

Such events always teemed with schemes masquerading as manners. As heir to the Vascan throne, producing royal offspring was my 'duty', no matter how the prospect withered my soul. I hadn't been interested in courtship, which boded well as the black sheep of the family. No lady in Buriti had half a mind to even attempt.

I watched as my fat cousin Dennis was getting awfully close with the new driver we had flown in from Svet. The stupid automobiles they invented clogged our streets and demolished children's skulls. I had no idea if royals and nobles were already crashing....how introducing these metal ram drivers to the commoners wouldn't cause untold death.

My sister Kash circulated eagerly through the perfumed nobility, exchanging coy barbs to annoy our distantly related family. Her twinkling laughter barely masked the anxieties our roles imposed as her long braided hair nearly swept the floor. Kash shared my red eyes in life, but hers were much lighter and inviting. I had spent many years in her shadow though societally I was her better. She motioned for me to come to her but I simply raised a glass of beer and flipped her off.

The string ensemble pounded a livelier melody unexpectedly as narcissism-fueled nobles took their lodgings for some stupid made-up Svetlan customary dance. All the old Vascan nobility appeared to be secretly turning their faces as they watched their palace being danced on by the past oppressors.

A commotion by the refreshments interrupted the overly long dance. Lush party-goers brayed in derision as a Buriti common servant girl scrabbled frantically to clean a spilled goblet from the floor. A slim mixed Svetlan-Buritan young noble with long black hair eyed the others around with anxiety. The mystery girl watched tight-lipped, hands clenched at her sides, clearly acquainted with the doomed maid. I saw Sankov Vadim step forward pushing his belly into the crowd of people loudly.

"You stupid animal! Tell me you didn't nearly spill any of that Buriti swill on MY daughter!" He raised his cuffed arm in a display of power. My father drank heavily as his one eye gleamed with zero care given to the plight of our people. "the smell of figs will never come out!"

As the frenzy built I stepped inches forward, only to meet Kash's knowing look. This was not our storm to ride obviously.....I shook my head angrily as she mouthed to stop. I had already made myself a target in the Vascan political sphere, if I stepped in now I would surely be exiled to the searing dunes.

Yana met my tense gaze across the sweltering hall. In her eyes, anguish for the squandered life warred with relief at escaping the wretched maid's fate. As the 'noble' Vadim struck the sobbing servant, fires banked but smoldering in the girl's stare promised awakening fury if stoked by righteous flames; the same inferno that blazes within me every second...

I snapped back as the clangorous clamoring of the Large blast doors came swiftly I heard the soft click of a button near Aiko's side of the smooth black chrome table. Vadim's horror was mounted on his face like a dying albino wilder beast. "MY LIEGE! Not only is this a disgusting misuse of power but you have no right to punish me by our people's treaty!" Each moment that passed his eyebrows furrowed more and his flat lips trembled heavily.