CHAPTER 10! i told you the oracle said this quest would fail

Start from the beginning

"is that why you give me a hard time? i gotta earn it with you too?"

"yeah. maybe."

"i gotta say, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

"what doesn't make sense to you?"

"gotta burn an offering to get a parent's attention. gotta beat up on clarisse just to get my father to admit he's my father. it isn't supposed to work that way. people who are close to you aren't supposed to treat you that way."

cherry could hear the feelings in percy's voice.

cherry knew the last thing love should've been, was conditional.

people who love you don't treat people like that.

that's why cherry and percy treated each other the way they did. because they didn't love each other.

they never would.

"you wanna know how i ended up alone on the road in the first place? i started out as a gift to my father. that's how it works with athena. we're born from a thought in her mind, and then given to a partner she feels connected to." annabeth began to explain.

"and for a while, i was treated like a gift. my father cared for me. he loved me. i knew it. then he met a woman. they had their own kids. and to her, i.. i wasn't a gift. i was a problem. so i left." the girl glanced over at the redhead.

"i was seven. it isn't the gods who think that way. it's everybody. but at least with the gods you know the rules. show them respect and they'll be in your corner, no matter what." she finished.

a loud groan came from the other side of the bunk.

cherry grinned.

"you awake?" percy questioned.

"well, i am now. thanks." grover complained.

"are you okay?" percy's eye widened, confused at grover's strange behavior.

"he's super grouchy when he doesn't get enough sleep." annabeth explained.

"he's super grouchy when he doesn't get enough.." grover mimicked.

cherry giggled.

"grover, you're my favorite." the girl complimented.

"good. who else would be?" grover huffed. "definitely not percy."

"definitely not." percy and cherry spoke at the same time, one more aggravated than the other.

"you've never been on the road with him before. a little different than a froofy boarding school." annabeth cut into the conversation.

"who's froofy? you're froofy. what's froofy? i think i need to eat." grover decided.

the red and purples hues meshed over the horizon.

"it's so pretty outside, look." cherry observed, with a smile.

"unlike you." percy commented.

"the second i get a chance to sacrifice you, i will." the redhead glared at him.

« ───── « ʚɞ » ───── »

cherry took a seat.

percy shoved his way into the seat beside her, rolling his eyes.

she rolled her eyes, too.

"two days until we reach los angeles." grover started the conversation. "plenty of time before our deadline to reach the underworld."