XLIII. Mid-Summer

Start from the beginning

"Ciel, you shouldn't make fun of Theo."

"Theo, I'm sorry."

As an apology, I approached Theo and hugged him. If I lay the groundwork like this, it will be easier for Theo to ask Clara to hug him on the cheek whenever she's grateful later.

Ugggghhh. Think of the big picture. Clara was smiling with delight, so Theo happily allowed me to hug him without pushing me away.

"Ciel! There you are!"

The ever-jealous Isaac barged into Theo's room looking for me. He got a clear view of me hugging Theo. Jeeze. I didn't want to get caught like this.

"Ah! Theo, you're so mean. You're the only one getting hugs from Ciel!"

Isaac, burning with jealousy, easily lifted me up into his arms. His slender physique was oddly strong. I had to give Isaac as many hugs as I had given Theo.

"You guys are sure having fun."

Louis, who had entered the room at some point, made sarcastic remarks while looking over at us.

Still, it's a little sad to think that there isn't much time left for us to be boisterous like this.

My three beloved older brothers, my precious older sister, and my wonderful parents... I think I would be fine not getting married, so long as I could live with this kind of nice family for the rest of my life.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.───

IN MIDSUMMER, under the scorching sun, the social season draws to a close and the majority of nobles vacate the capitol.

However, just as the Emperor cannot leave the capital, those of the historic Duke Valentine's family also remain. That is, until this year.

"Ciel, are you all ready?"

"Yes, sister!"

This year is an exception. Clara, Isaac, and I are leaving home to enter the Crown Prince's palace, so my parents made a big decision and planned a family trip.

With two weeks left before we enter the palace, my family decided to go on a fairly long summer vacation. When I came out holding Clara's hand, Isaac, who was more maturely dressed than usual today, greeted me.

"Ciel, you look adorable again today!"

"You're stylish too, Isaac."

I had promised to stick with Isaac during this trip. While my sister went to look at some other luggage, I observed the endless procession.

Two adults, three teenagers, and two children... Including our seven family members and all of our attendants there are more than one hundred people on this journey.

If he had been alone my dad would have traveled by magic, but this is our summer vacation. Dad, who secretly enjoyed employing mundane methods, doesn't use magic for personal matters.

I've heard that it's quite a long ride to the villa. But I won't get bored along the way because I can plan what I'll do when I enter the Imperial Palace.

I should start by making a list from memory of the people who could harm Clara, comparing whether their positions are higher or lower than mine is currently. And, of course, I also need to prepare some countermeasures to deal with whatever the Princess brings out in the future.

This is actually my last summer vacation before I make my social debut... And even though I haven't debuted yet, I still have a lot to do.

"How should we split the carriages?"