𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕.

Play 𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐭- 𝐊𝐞𝐡𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐢🎶🎧

Author's Pov
It was officially Christmas Eve, and Jorja's holiday sadness hit her harder than usual. She found herself plopped on the couch, tears dried up on her face. She tried to doze off, hoping sleep would whisk away her troubles. But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't drift off into dreamland. It felt like her restless mind had other plans for this special night.

Jorja was cozily bundled up on her couch, wrapped up like a burrito. The TV was switched off, solely because every time she glanced up, her eyes were met with reminders of holiday movies. It all felt so exhausting and draining to her.

She wondered if she had any siblings who had been given away too. Or were they happily spending the holidays together with their parents? The idea of her being the one given away made her feel sick, both physically and mentally.

A tear started rolling down her cheek as she stared into empty space. She quickly wiped it away before it could fall any further and make her burst into tears again. Jorja let out a shaky sigh and slowly unwrapped herself from the blanket.

She stood up and went to the bathroom, purposely avoiding the mirror like she had been doing all day. Whenever Jorja felt down about something, insecurity would just add to the mix.

Jorja couldn't help but roll her eyes when she realized her cycle had started. "Why is this happening to me?" she grumbled, feeling even more frustrated than before.

For the rest of the day, Jorja spent her Christmas Eve lounging on the couch, in pain from her cycle. Penelope ended up falling asleep snuggled up by her side, as if she knew Jorja wasn't feeling her best.

"I feel a little hungry," she mumbles to herself, thinking about whether to cook something or order takeout. After contemplating it for a while, she decides to get up and make herself a meal. She wants to stick to her promise of avoiding takeout.

Amidst Jorja rustling up a quick meal, her phone buzzed with a notification. She glanced over to the counter, her eyebrow raised in surprise. "What is that?" she wondered aloud. Letting out a sigh, she went back to her meal, assuming it was just another notification from one of those apps she downloaded.

Time flew by as Jorja sat down to enjoy her meal, still unaware of the message that awaited her. She savored each bite, lost in her own thoughts. It wasn't until she finished her meal that she finally noticed the blinking light on her phone. Curiosity piqued, she picked it up and unlocked the screen.

There, amidst a sea of app notifications, was a message from someone she didn't recognize. Her heart skipped a beat as she read the words on the screen. It was a simple message that read "Hi." Who is this? Why are they texting me? She wondered to herself.